• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to T hobby, added B. smithi sling to our fam

Danielle R.

3 Year Member
Hello all! I am glad that I found this forum. We just purchased our B. smithi sling and I feel like every passing day I have more and more questions. Hopefully joining this forum will help me figure things out so we can raise our little one happy and healthy.

When I purchased him/her I had asked when the last time it was fed was and was told a few days. From what I have read slings usually eat every couple of days. I gave the sling 2 days to settle in and on the third day I purchased pinheads to feed it, although the crickets that I was given are about the same size as the poor sling. I tried to select the smallest one of the bunch and added it to the little vial and watched. No interest at all and the little sling just burrowed and ignored the cricket. I removed it the next day and added a freshly killed cricket. Again it was ignored. Am I being too overzealous? I know adults can go months without eating, but a small sling I would think would need to eat as often as possible. Should I try cutting up portions of mealworm? Or just back off and give the little thing another week to adjust? I just don't want it to die :(

Attachments

• 11535893_10206873684749167_8507328359336781757_n.jpg
    11535893_10206873684749167_8507328359336781757_n.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 42

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.
B. smithi is a good choice as a sling. Although slow growers, but eat well and easy to keep.
Is those your 1st tarantula?
Click on Browse, then Tarantulas by Genus and then Brachypelma. You'll find threads pertaining to feeding, molting and housing of this species. [emoji6]
Sometimes it can take a week or more for a T to adjust and feel secure in a new environment. Yours has a good sized opistothoma, so give it a few more days before feeding. My B. smithi sling is in premolt right now, but still fed on a pre killed cricket this morning. All my slings are fed twice weekly and only pre killed until 1" in size (pedipalps to spinnerets). This is my way, others have different ways, and my chime in on this.
Good luck and happy T'ing. [emoji3]

Danielle R.

3 Year Member
Thank you for the feedback. :) I will keep a close eye and give it some more time to adjust before I try to feed again. This is indeed my first T and I am very excited and anxious about it in general and maybe a little stressed that it hasn't eaten yet. I'm so used to my cats and dog eating every day it's a little nerve wracking that something so small and delicate looking has gone so long without eating, ha. I keep misting too with bottled water and was happy to see it crawl up on the side of the vial and hover over a droplet to drink, I assumed. I'll be sure to check the B. smithi specific forums for more tidbits. Thanks!

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Since you have cats, I'd make sure to keep your T in a secure place they can't have access to it. Even though B. smithi is NW with less medically significant venom, the urticating hairs they use as defense can be painful to cats and dogs.
Personally, I don't use vials, preferring small Rubbermaid containers instead. These allow for a hide and a water bottle cap placed inside and enough substrate for them to dig their own burrow. This is my B. smithi in its enclosure. Its just about 5/8" DLS . I place a pre killed cricket between the leaf and water dish and in a short time is feeding. [emoji4]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434870367695.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434870367695.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 38

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for the feedback. :) I will keep a close eye and give it some more time to adjust before I try to feed again. This is indeed my first T and I am very excited and anxious about it in general and maybe a little stressed that it hasn't eaten yet. I'm so used to my cats and dog eating every day it's a little nerve wracking that something so small and delicate looking has gone so long without eating, ha. I keep misting too with bottled water and was happy to see it crawl up on the side of the vial and hover over a droplet to drink, I assumed. I'll be sure to check the B. smithi specific forums for more tidbits. Thanks!
Don't mist. Even though it is a sling, B.smithi still should be kept rather dry. All it needs is a little bottle cap for a water dish. No it won't drown either.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Don't mist. Even though it is a sling, B.smithi still should be kept rather dry. All it needs is a little bottle cap for a water dish. No it won't drown either.
Welcome! And I agree here...keep your smithi dry. They detest being misted. I have a bottle cap in with mine, and I put a little aquarium gravel in it, so it's not as deep. But, Chubbs is right. It won't drown. I overfill it a little when I see my smithi go into pre-molt, just to add a little humidity, but not otherwise.

Good to have you here! See you around.:)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
from what I have been able to gather, T's CAN be completely submerged in water and be just fine. They will collect air on the hairs of their legs and "breathe" from those until it can make its way out of the water. I've seen videos (seriously) of some T's (mostly slings) who voluntarily climb into their water bowls for a swim. You tube has a few if you'd like to take a peek. Hope this helps calm your nerves a bit. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum @Danielle R. I recently joined and I am sure you will enjoy and be informed at the same time. The guys on here especially the ones who have already replied to yur post all welcomed me too. Really nice people. Welcome and Happy New year. Hope you enjoy the hobby and g t many more.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm a rookie too and so far I can't stay off of the Forum. Good luck with your little guy.
Welcome :) As I have already mentioned. Really great bunch on here. Yes the forum is very addictive!!!! I love it ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm a rookie too and so far I can't stay off of the Forum. Good luck with your little guy.
Forgot to mention. Advice I was given was post on the introductions thread to tell everyone something about you and your collection. If you have not already done this, give it a go :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome. I know you'll enjoy it here as it's the friendliest forum.