• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantulas and worried

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ooh, I'd take the spongy thing out of their water dishes asap. They're a breeding ground for bacteria, fresh water is ALWAYS better, don't worry they can't drown. They look to be a bit on the skinny side, but maybe they're not long after a molt. Keep them warm and quiet for now, fingers crossed.
I'm surprised sellers don't pack their Ts with heat packs if the temperatures drop, especially over night. I know the good shops in the UK do.

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
Ooh, I'd take the spongy thing out of their water dishes asap. They're a breeding ground for bacteria, fresh water is ALWAYS better, don't worry they can't drown. They look to be a bit on the skinny side, but maybe they're not long after a molt. Keep them warm and quiet for now, fingers crossed.
I'm surprised sellers don't pack their Ts with heat packs if the temperatures drop, especially over night. I know the good shops in the UK do.
I only leave that in there because she likes to molt on top of the sponge for some reason. I washed them once a week though. or if I need a new one I just replace it. what I'm trying to figure out is what I should do to boost their body temperature I don't want to shock them but they are freezing the pink toes ok she actually bit me. That's not my concern though I just don't want them to die or be uncomfortable at all. I thought they would put heat packs in these things. Water Monitor also came with them he was freezing as well. so sad this is how people ship live animals. and to boot when I go outside to meet the FedEx guy he's flipping my box upside down so I go ape **** on him.

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
You could spread it out on a baking pan as someone else had mentioned and let sit in the sun or just dry at room temp then put it back in..

Houndofdartmoor

3 Year Member
Have New photos of her and the terrarium, look good?

Attachments

• 1119151124.jpg
    1119151124.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 1119151122.jpg
    1119151122.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Every site I visit keeps saying 60-70%
Most online caresheets and websites are crap and full of bad information. The best places to look for more accurate information is on a forum such as this. All you need for a dry-loving species like this is a water dish. Like I've said before, even with rainforest species, the humidity percentage does not matter.

kaz

3 Year Member
They like it dry. Seriously I wouldn't worry about humidity. It will be fine dude !! : )

I sprinkle water around the enclosure on a rare occasion and over fill the water from time to time as have heard they do get rainfall from their natural environment. But again I never have stressed over the precise percentage.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok thank you, so if it drops to say 40% she's fine? Cause my house can get bone dry this time of year with the heater on.

This species along with most Brachypelma species should be kept on bone-dry substrate. Like I said the humidity percentage is irrelevant. That's something you'd be concerned with over a reptile or amphibian. Even with species that require more moisture/humidity, such as Ephebopus, I don't worry over numbers. As long as there is some level of moisture in the terrarium, then it doesn't matter. Even with these species, I don't keep it moist 24/7, I do let it dry out for a few days between. For species like this, I simply provide a larger water dish, and wet the substrate every few days. I like to create my own substrate my mixing top soil with peat moss and maybe a little coco fiber, which retains more moisture. Adding a layer of sphagnum or terrarium moss on top can also help with this. However, none of this applies to the species you are keeping.

Houndofdartmoor

3 Year Member
Ok, sorry I'm beating a dead horse. Just my first spider and I'm seriously babying her XD. I really appreciate the help guys don't know what's I do without this place you guys are amazing.:);)

Latest posts