• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula owner with questions

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry, I just woke up, I should have explained, after they molt they have to harden up their fangs and exoskeletons, so it's best not to feed them for 5 days or so, a week for larger spiders:) I suggested waiting a few more days to move him just so he could digest his meal when you feed him :)

LauraS

3 Year Member
I set up the new home for Curly. Does this look ok?

SAM_2189.JPG
SAM_2190.JPG

LauraS

3 Year Member
I was a little concerned about the air holes too. They are smaller then the biggest part of the tarantula but I know they can be sneaky little escape artists. I was wondering if Curly was looking about to molt. Thanks for letting me know. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was a little concerned about the air holes too. They are smaller then the biggest part of the tarantula but I know they can be sneaky little escape artists. I was wondering if Curly was looking about to molt. Thanks for letting me know. :)
No problem, but yeah, the huge shiny butt with the dark spot always indicates a molt is coming soon :)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Hello,

I'm new to tarantulas. I got a Mexican Redknee last month and a Curly Hair just this past weekend.

My main question is about my B. Smithi. It's a tiny little sling. It has had at least one molt because there was one in the deli cup when I purchased him. At first he was a great eater (feeding on mealworms and dubia roaches) but the past two weeks he has not eaten. Do you think he is getting ready to molt again? It worries me because he is so small! How long can they go without eating?

He is living in a deli cup with a sponge for water on coco fiber. The substrate is moist (maybe too moist but if he's going to molt I thought that might be a good thing). He is at room temperature (75) with no extra heat and just daylight through the window for lighting.

I'm keeping my curly hair in the same conditions (deli cup, sponge for water, 75 degrees). I have only had it since Sunday and it has eaten two dubia roaches. He's a little bigger then the B. Smithi. I'd guess half an inch.

Do there living conditions sound correct?

Thank you all! I'm very new at this. And to think, I used to be afraid of spiders, lol.
My B Smithi sling ate, then disappeared and dug into his burrow. Couldn't see it. Never came out. Didn't eat for a month. Finally it reappeared and seemed twice the size, and tossed it's molt in its water dish as to say " I'm here, now feed me!!" Just keep water in there for it and it will eat when ready. Introduce food and if it wants it, it will eat it. I try to feed it dead roaches if it doesn't eat the live ones. Some of my slings that small are picky

BLUE BEAUTY

3 Year Member
you generally need to wait a few days before feeding or moving. The exoskeleton or fangs are not hardened directly after a molt. You could injure or potentially kill the T by moving it or feeding it.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really? That's good to hear. My Vagans has a fat shiney abdomen with a dark triangular mark on top. He's still eating like a pig though, so hopefully soon!
I sort of agree with what the other poster said that promoted your reply. If darkened and shiny then yes, but the patch is actually the urticating hairs forming as the spiderling matures. The picture from IamKrush above is a good example (although it does also look in pre moult.....lol)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I sort of agree with what the other poster said that promoted your reply. If darkened and shiny then yes, but the patch is actually the urticating hairs forming as the spiderling matures. The picture from IamKrush above is a good example (although it does also look in pre moult.....lol)
thanks Phil! That was 6 days into the hobby for me lol, yes the mirror patch as i've learned since then ;) it does darken in premolt, easiest visible way to tell when they're starting premolt, for the Brachy's and like anyway, The GBB's still have me stumped, only way i can tell is when they start running from the roaches ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thanks Phil! That was 6 days into the hobby for me lol, yes the mirror patch as i've learned since then ;) it does darken in premolt, easiest visible way to tell when they're starting premolt, for the Brachy's and like anyway, The GBB's still have me stumped, only way i can tell is when they start running from the roaches ;)
Ha ha.....didn't see the date stamp, just thought it was a recent post .....my bad ☺.
You can just about make out darkening in the juvie GBB but once adults, you are right, really hard to tell.....although a good indicator is avoiding food at all costs so I don't think you are far off the mark there either ☺