• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula I have questions!

Courtney

3 Year Member
I just bought a rose haired tarantula from petco this past Friday since putting him/her in it's tank he/she is doin a whole lot of nothing I've had one for 4 years when I was a kid and they didn't move much to begin with but this one is in the corner with its legs over its head hasn't eaten not sure if it's drinking but hasn't burrowed and hasn't spun a web. This is the 5th day I've had him/her can someone give me some advice? My last one didn't require any maintenance she never needed a heat lamp and was pretty active for a tarantula I just put her in and she loved it I was expecting the same from this one but it doesn't seam to like it :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I would recommend getting it onto a different substrate. Wood chips are not the greatest. Try and get some palm peat if possible.
Can you get a pic of it spread out?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree, it also doesn't seem to have much room (footprint wise) they're terrestrials, and you want to discourage climbing. Also 5 days isn't a long time, sometimes it takes a month amore for the T to settle in. (definitely change the substrate though)

khatchet

3 Year Member
When you change the substrate make sure it is dry and it will settle in a bit faster with that.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Yep defo substrante. I have a chille and a smithi and they both had peat substrate and loved it but i got an infestation of little wormy things and changed the substrate to covonut media, smithi loves it but chille hates it and did the same as yours so i had to go back to peat and shes fine now

Courtney

3 Year Member
Thank for the advise! I had a feeling it was the wood chips she looks uncomfortable she won't even touch the wood chips with her body I got the peat and will be changing it tonight! I also moved her to my closet for now it's dark and quiet in their also because she was in my living room witch has a lot of traffic Goin through so that might have something to do with it she actually climbed onto the piece of wood so it seemed to have helped her come out Here is a pic of her spread out on the wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 29

jon ross

3 Year Member
Id remove the spounge too. They can get their fangs caught. Just put a few clean stones in the water dish

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the sponge has to go. fresh clean water is just fine. Stones are to keep feeders from drowning, they don't help the spider at all.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Ah that my explain my on going problem with those little white things in the water!

Hows you t doing now?

entomology

3 Year Member
My T's are mostly climbing all over and rarely in the ground.. Lol but moisture is good just not too much as tarantulas dehydrate very easily.