• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new T owner.

Chrisclockwork

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm Chris and I'm new to the hobby. I recently bought a G.Rosea and am very intrigued with her. I've done a lot of reading and watched videos on this species but I could still benefit from all the advice from here. I also have a slight fear of her but I'm trying to get over it. I've had her for a week now and every time I interact with her, she "attacks" my hand or the utensil I use to see what mood she's in but my girlfriend can do the same thing and she acts calm. Is it just me? I've used me finger to touch her back leg and she flipped around fast. I don't know if she was going to bite because I moved my hand before she could attack. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20140620_205632.jpg
    IMG_20140620_205632.jpg
    872.6 KB · Views: 39

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice T. Welcome aboard. I used to work in a pet store. I handled all the snakes and aggressive reptiles no problem. But every time I stuck my hand in to get a hamster for someone, BAM! They would nail me. I had to call over one of the girls to do it and they never had an issue. I despise hamsters though so not sure why your T is attacking only you?

TarantulaGirl549

3 Year Member
Hey and welcome! Rosea's are lovely T's! Sometimes you get the odd one that can have a bad attitude.
I have a brachy vegans which is a grumpy cow and will attack or flick hairs at anything. Sometimes if they go straight for the attack without rearing like her, I believe it's more of a feeding attack than a "back off" sign. You'll know when to stay away if she does stand on her rear legs and give a good old display.
I also have a long thin paint brush which I use to interact with my T's which is for non feeding times, it's especially handy, some sit or rest to be stroked (peculiarly), plus if they do want to go for you, they'll bite the brush, not you. A cheap investment to save your finger!
You'll get to know her soon enough and who knows, she might chill out for you eventually! :)

jujubees

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm Chris and I'm new to the hobby. I recently bought a G.Rosea and am very intrigued with her. I've done a lot of reading and watched videos on this species but I could still benefit from all the advice from here. I also have a slight fear of her but I'm trying to get over it. I've had her for a week now and every time I interact with her, she "attacks" my hand or the utensil I use to see what mood she's in but my girlfriend can do the same thing and she acts calm. Is it just me? I've used me finger to touch her back leg and she flipped around fast. I don't know if she was going to bite because I moved my hand before she could attack. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Nice lookin Rosie :) perhaps she will warm up to you though. My B. Albopilosum was the same way. She has mellowed out enough so I can handle her now. Welcome to the forum sir!

Chrisclockwork

3 Year Member
Thank you all. She is still temperamental and now she has started to molt. Maybe after her new skin hardens she might settle down. As for feeding she like to kill all the crickets I put in at once and web them down and feed on one at a time.