• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New T owner with some questions.

April

3 Year Member
Okay so Google is too general..
I got my Female rose hair last night. Got her cage all set up and seemed to be doing great, was out and about checking things out. Today she has just been curled up in the corner it worried me.. I gave her back legs a light touchy to see if she moved and she did, but barely. Very slow and not much reaction at all. Is this normal in a new home? Should I be worried or do anything different?
image.jpg

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
I would just let her be. Sounds like she still might be settling in, especially since you just got her last night. G. roseas are sometimes a little unresponsive, and slow to move (mine sure is). Does she have a hide? If she doesn't, that definitely explains why she's curled up and hiding in a corner. As long as it's not the death curl, you're probably fine.

Also, I still consider myself to be a bit new to the hobby, so if any more experienced members need to correct me or add more, please do!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
perfectly normal, they're likened to pet rocks for a reason. Being that you just got her, be prepared to leave her be for a couple weeks. Make sure she has plenty of substrate, make sure its dry, add a hide and a water bowl (no spounges)

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I started off with these like many other hobbyists, but couldn't stand the pet rock activity. :)
But normal for rosea. Just wait till it goes into premoult for 6 months and takes 2 years between moults. :)

April

3 Year Member
I would just let her be. Sounds like she still might be settling in, especially since you just got her last night. G. roseas are sometimes a little unresponsive, and slow to move (mine sure is). Does she have a hide? If she doesn't, that definitely explains why she's curled up and hiding in a corner. As long as it's not the death curl, you're probably fine.

Also, I still consider myself to be a bit new to the hobby, so if any more experienced members need to correct me or add more, please do!
Yeah she's got a great hide. Stayed in it all night. Even and aloe plant and foliage. Thank you!

April

3 Year Member
perfectly normal, they're likened to pet rocks for a reason. Being that you just got her, be prepared to leave her be for a couple weeks. Make sure she has plenty of substrate, make sure its dry, add a hide and a water bowl (no spounges)
I have a 10 gallon terrarium, I have coco substrate, how full should I make it? I noticed her climbing the walls and I don't want her to injur herself

entomology

3 Year Member
make of it what you wish. Do not handle and if so you" do it at your own risk"!!!!!! you can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink :) we all know the sane.