• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Member from Toronto

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Hey everyone!

I love bugs, especially spiders, and photography and try to combine the two whenever possible. I have had a handful of tarantulas over the last 15 years. Not too many, but I do love them more than just about anything.
Recently, my very first girl, a G. rosea (or maybe she is a porteri - which didn't exist when I got her), has not been doing well. Evelyn is my last tarantula and I am feeling lost without them.
The Reptile Expo is coming to Toronto and I am thinking of getting a couple of others. More than a couple, actually. I will have to wait and see what I can find to scratch off my list.
Peace and love.
Vanessa

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I'll hope you find at least a few that make you smile, welcome to the boards,
Read your post about your Evelyn, I hope she turns around for you.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. It's always sad to lose an old friend but Evelyn has obviously had a very good life with you. I'm sure you'll come home from that expo with a few to make you smile.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Hi Vanessa. Welcome here. Let us know what's on your wishlist, and don't hesitate to ask if you want feedback.

I am ordering a 1" G. pulchra and 1/4" B. albopilosum - both of which I have had before, and also a 2" B. verdezi and a 1/2" E. campestratus - neither of which I have had before. I'm a bit nervous about the E. campestratus because I have heard conflicting reports on their temperament. Even though I have had a small amount of tarantulas for a long time, I am not looking for anything beyond beginner species. I don't want them to be a huge challenge for me. As much as I love them, they can still give me a scare sometimes.
This time, they are much younger than I am used to. In the past, I have only had larger females who have been full size when I got them. I am not experienced with anyone who is not full grown. I can barely wrap my head around a 1/4" tarantula.
I will be doing a lot of reading up on keeping the spiderlings before April 17th when I pick them up at the Expo in Toronto. The G. pulchra is coming earlier, but they are already 1" and such a forgiving spider.
I noticed that @Scoolman has a blog for G. pulchra that I will go through before I get them.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Yes, Scoolman's blog is an excellent source.

I've never kept E campestratus, and I know that it can vary from individual to individual, but I've read that they are one of the most docile sp. you can keep. Here's a fine testimony: http://www.mikebasictarantula.com/Eup-campestratus-care-sheet.html

About keeping slings, you'll probably realize it's not difficult at all: preys and enclosure have to be accorded to the size of the T, maybe humidity should be kept a little higher than when adult, and that's it! It's an excellent idea to take the time for learning and preparing yourself. Bravo!

I really like to watch them grow, and it helps to learn and understand their behavior and personality.

Anyway, the Ts you have chosen are all great choices if you want docile ones.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Yes, Scoolman's blog is an excellent source.

I've never kept E campestratus, and I know that it can vary from individual to individual, but I've read that they are one of the most docile sp. you can keep. Here's a fine testimony: http://www.mikebasictarantula.com/Eup-campestratus-care-sheet.html

It's funny that you should post that link because it is exactly the one that made me consider an E. campestratus.
Back before I got Evelyn, there were very few really reliable online resources for tarantula keepers. And most of them were filled with really condescending members who didn't make you feel very welcome, or comfortable asking questions.
It is different now... worlds different. Even though you still have to wade through a lot of misinformation. Plus, I am lucky to be in a big city where local resources are available to me too. Feed and supplies are easy to come by in Toronto.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
And in Canada you have the lovely people from Tarantula Canada, whom I met in Marbach (DE) last year. Lucky you, I wish we had such breeders (with such spp. available + such prices!) in Switzerland.

I am getting the G. pulchra from Bruce at Arachnophiliacs in BC, but the other three are coming from Martin and Amanda at Tarantula Canada. I will get to meet them at the show in April when I pick everyone up. They have all been wonderful to deal with.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Amanda at Tarantula Canada gave me loads of great advice when I bought my Ami sp Panama and couldn't find anything on line and those on AB were no help.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The E. campestratus is known for being very docile, according to everyone I know that has one. Each spider is an individual of course:) Welcome to the forum, those are excellent choices.

Latest posts