• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New lizard!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding wild insects can be dangerous, you don't know what they've been in contact with, it's something you have to decide for yourself based on your environment.
As for taming a lizard (and some other creatures) it's as sschind said , place your hand flat on the floor of the enclosure daily without trying to grab the animal. For birds I've always just watched tv or read a book with my hand in the cage. An important thing is not to watch them or even look at them, no eye contact at all. Watching them marks you as a predator in their view of the world and they won't go about their natural behaviour.
This also applies to getting an animal to let go of you, lay your hand flat, make sure their legs are supported, turn your head away from them and don't move at all. I've had to lay flat on the ground both out in the Australian Bush and in bird aviaries but it is the best way to minimise damage to both you and the animal.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Feeding wild insects can be dangerous, you don't know what they've been in contact with, it's something you have to decide for yourself based on your environment.
As for taming a lizard (and some other creatures) it's as sschind said , place your hand flat on the floor of the enclosure daily without trying to grab the animal. For birds I've always just watched tv or read a book with my hand in the cage. An important thing is not to watch them or even look at them, no eye contact at all. Watching them marks you as a predator in their view of the world and they won't go about their natural behaviour.
This also applies to getting an animal to let go of you, lay your hand flat, make sure their legs are supported, turn your head away from them and don't move at all. I've had to lay flat on the ground both out in the Australian Bush and in bird aviaries but it is the best way to minimise damage to both you and the animal.

I never even thought about not looking at him and just letting him do his thing next time that happens. This time he eventually just let go but it's a good idea for future since It's probably better than just wrestling him off even if it is done gently. It would be less stressful for him at the very least and I guess it does make sense since many animals see being looked at intently as a challenge. We'll have to go at his pace for training him but I certainly do hope he chills out soon because I can tell those jaws will be able to do some damage when he's an adult. Not that it bothers me too much, there isn't much we animal keepers haven't been bitten, clawed and shredded by :)

Latest posts