• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New keeper!

thholyghst

Hi all, my names Syd. I’ve just acquired my first T, an Avic Avic and I’m already in love. As a recovering arachnophobe I’ve been doing lots of research in preparation and knew I wanted an arboreal species. I have 2 acrylic set ups (one large & one small). Wasn’t sure what size would be suitable for my little one but after picking it up I ended up going with the larger enclosure. Not sure on age, thinking juvie or sub adult (clarity would help). They couldn’t tell me gender but for some reason I keep saying she ‍♂️ I’ve never handled a T so I was a little anxious about rehousing but honestly she is SO chill, very calm and gentle. Not skittish at all and walked right into her new home and climbed right up to the top. She hasn’t moved much from that spot but she’s stretched her little legs out finally (she’s been hiding her face though ). I asked when the last time feeding was and they said they feed every Tuesday (which is today) so I’m excited to offer her some food. I didn’t want to disturb much after the rehome so I’ll get better pics of enclosure when I do that to get feedback on set up and what I can improve. Also any recommendations on keeping T’s while having cats would be helpful currently she’s on the top shelf of my bookshelf, I have hanging plants that dangle over so she has plenty of privacy. I keep the temp in my home between 71-75, her enclosure has critter soil (I might need more substrate, not sure), sphagnum moss, cork bark and was lightly misted.

Attachments

• IMG_8552.jpeg
    IMG_8552.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8553.jpeg
    IMG_8553.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Syd, welcome to the hobby. :)
Now you just need another T to occupy your smaller container.

thholyghst

Hi all, my names Syd. I’ve just acquired my first T, an Avic Avic and I’m already in love. As a recovering arachnophobe I’ve been doing lots of research in preparation and knew I wanted an arboreal species. I have 2 acrylic set ups (one large & one small). Wasn’t sure what size would be suitable for my little one but after picking it up I ended up going with the larger enclosure. Not sure on age, thinking juvie or sub adult (clarity would help). They couldn’t tell me gender but for some reason I keep saying she ‍♂️ I’ve never handled a T so I was a little anxious about rehousing but honestly she is SO chill, very calm and gentle. Not skittish at all and walked right into her new home and climbed right up to the top. She hasn’t moved much from that spot but she’s stretched her little legs out finally (she’s been hiding her face though ). I asked when the last time feeding was and they said they feed every Tuesday (which is today) so I’m excited to offer her some food. I didn’t want to disturb much after the rehome so I’ll get better pics of enclosure when I do that to get feedback on set up and what I can improve. Also any recommendations on keeping T’s while having cats would be helpful currently she’s on the top shelf of my bookshelf, I have hanging plants that dangle over so she has plenty of privacy. I keep the temp in my home between 71-75, her enclosure has critter soil (I might need more substrate, not sure), sphagnum moss, cork bark and was lightly misted.
IMG_8567.jpeg
IMG_8559.jpegIMG_8566.jpeg

GarField000

3 Year Member
Welcome welcome ....
My girlfriend was afraid of spiders to, but after seeing mee and helping out her first T was also an Avic :).
Great species. Very kind.

You talked about handling when moving ..... There are technics you never have to handle you spider if you're interested let me know. I know some great rehousing video's. If you get into Old Worlds that would be very handy :).

I have 100 T's and keeping T's now for 11 years (got my first in 2012) and only handled 2 spiders each one time. My G.rosea while rehousing she just easy walked up on the edge and when I held up my hand she just stroled on. And my H.chilensis just a week ago. They are so easy going .....

One big tip ...... IF you handle your T, do it over a table or bed so if you got spooked (or the T) she does not fall very high.

I call all my T's a SHE lol. Only when i'm sure about that it's a male ( I have only 3 males ) it's he.
All the rest are SHE. I am very bad at sexing them so I have large ones and still not sure what it is lol.

Enjoy the hobby ..... and if you have questions just ask here.

thholyghst

Welcome welcome ....
My girlfriend was afraid of spiders to, but after seeing mee and helping out her first T was also an Avic :).

You talked about handling when moving ..... There are technics you never have to handle you spider if you're interested let me know. I know some great rehousing video's. If you get into Old Worlds that would be very handy :).

I have 100 T's and keeping T's now for 11 years (got my first in 2012) and only handled 2 spiders each one time. My G.rosea while rehousing she just easy walked up on the edge and when I held up my hand she just stroled on. And my H.chilensis just a week ago. They are so easy going .....

One big tip ...... IF you handle your T, do it over a table or bed so if you got spooked (or the T) she does not fall very high.

I call all my T's a SHE lol. Only when i'm sure about that it's a male ( I have only 3 males ) it's he.
All the rest are SHE. I am very bad at sexing them so I have large ones and still not sure what it is lol.

Welcome welcome ....

Well I just touched her bum gently with a paint brush and she walked into a condiment cup once I got it in front of her. She walked into her enclosure on her own. Tried offering her some food today but she wasn’t interested. Did get to see her face for a bit though she seems a little shy, keeps her palps close to her face lol.

I read falls were a concern so I don’t plan on handling her much, especially with having cats around. Based on a lot of the pics I’ve seen I’m thinking female but same, I’ll probably just assume until I know for certain lol.

And thank you! I’m definitely enjoying all the info I’ve gotten from the forum already, seems like a chill group of T enthusiasts