• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New hobbyist here

KlausNomi

3 Year Member
Hi all, I'm about to buy a sling next week (Grammostola Pulchripes). Hoping to learn a lot about these eight-legged cuties in this forum. :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum, feel free to ask any questions you have, lots of folks here that are willing and able to help ^*^

KlausNomi

3 Year Member
Hi, I do have a few actually... First, the spiderling that I'm about to buy is just 1 inch. What is an ideal enclosure for her?
I've read that the said species (Grammostola Pulchripes) is good for beginners, is that right? I'm absolutely new to tarantulas and have no knowledge yet about taking care of them.

Cheers

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Welcome here Klaus (I'm a Klaus too, and have always thought a T should be named like this: Lasiodora klausnomii!). Yes, G pulchripes is a great starting T: rather docile (it always depends on individuals though), hardy, beautiful with the yellow markings on the legs, and growing (rather slowly...) to an impressive size. Congratulations!

I keep my 1 inch slings in plastic boxes with some holes (not too big so that it won't escape through them) for ventilation and a secured lid. Give your T a small waterdish (at this size, I use a plastic bottle cap).

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and even post pictures (your T, the enclosure, etc.), it's a pleasure to share.

Meludox

3 Year Member
Assuming you're in the US, you can buy pre-made enclosures from someone like JamiesTarantulas.com. I think the juvenile terrestrial kit would be good for a 1 inch sling. Or you could go the cheaper route and just use a 16 oz. deli cup. Add lots of ventilation, fill it with sub, add a bottle cap waterdish, a starter burrow or piece of cork for a hide and voila! :) Welcome to the forum!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Those glad type reusable containers work equally well and some of them have screw on lids which makes it even better.
They even have small square ones if that's your preference.

swimbait

3 Year Member
When your spider stops eating, it's in pre molt don't worry and don't make a post asking if its gonna be okay ;) It is an extremely common theme on forums for new keepers to get worried their spider isn't eating. Tarantulas only need to eat once a week, so don't start feeding it daily, that is another thing new hobbyists often do. There are a few forums filled with information my suggestion would be to just start reading through random threads online, whether they pertain to your G.pulchripes or not. Lots of care techniques are universal and there is lots to be learned on these forums

KlausNomi

3 Year Member
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm not from the US, am actually from the Philippines. I'll post an update once I get the spiderling (and to ask if I'm doing things right). Thanks again :)

Cheers

Latest posts