• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Fireleg sling behavior?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
My sister got a puppy after I got those Brachy slings and it's practically a full grown dog now while they have hardly grown at all lol

E

ExMember

My sister got a puppy after I got those Brachy slings and it's practically a full grown dog now while they have hardly grown at all lol

Sounds about right! I got my boehmei at the end of august and it just molted for the first time a week ago. Abdomen is still black and it's turning down food so I'm guessing it's gonna double molt!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Sounds about right! I got my boehmei at the end of august and it just molted for the first time a week ago. Abdomen is still black and it's turning down food so I'm guessing it's gonna double molt!

I am beginning to wonder who'll take care of them after I pop my clogs hahaha

clowry

How on earth did I miss all your updates in this thread? It's great having updates on a slings progress and as you continue to periodically update, we can all watch your sling grow. If you can keep it up until adulthood years down the line, that would be fascinating, even if you just update on growth or particular points of interest.
In answer to your questions above, I don't think your sling would enjoy being carried to location to location around the house, plus there's always the risk of accidentally dropping the enclosure, or disturbing it in moult. It would be easier to keep it in one location and find a way of keeping the temperature within a good range. Anything from high sixties to low 80s fahrenheit.
Your sling wouldn't be bothered by the bearded dragons as their eyesight is extremely poor. So maybe opposite your beadie's enclosure (I presume that's a nice warm spot) would be ideal. As long as it isn't close to any heat mats or hot spots, that is.

clowry

Attachments

• IMG_3594.jpeg
    IMG_3594.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3591.jpeg
    IMG_3591.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

x_raphael_xx

Hi everyone. Well, it's now been 4 days since I located my sling and it has been really busy with landscaping. It's now digging up a huge trench behind the rock and it can be seen in its part-burrow at the moment.

Based on some threads I've been reading, I should not provide so much substrate (2") for such a small sling, especially if I don't like having it digging and hiding. I don't have a problem with it, personally. Just as long as it doesn't accidentally have the burrow collapse on it.

I do have two questions to ask, which is bugging me a bit:

Question 1

Is it recommended that I find a permanent spot in the house to keep the enclosure, or is it fine if I move the enclosure to a number of spots during a day?

I'm in the process of getting a digital thermostat to regulate the temperature, but until then, I move the enclosure based on the conditions in each area of the house.

There are 3 spots that it moves between, which are; daughter's room, spare room, and the lounge. At different periods during the day, I would move it from a cold room into a warmer room, or from a stuffy-humid room into a neutral room.

Question 2

Would the sling freak out or hide, in fear, if I placed it opposite my bearded dragon's cage?

My dragons have no idea about the sling, and wouldn't be interested in it anyway, but how would the sling respond to seeing the dragons close-by? I feel that it wouldn't be scared, due to it being in a safe environment, but I can't say for certain whether this is the case or not.

Any advice?
Q1 - I wouldn't keep moving the enclosure. They are very sensitive to movement and everytime you pick up the enclosure it must feel like an earthquake. It will make your T very stressed.

Q2 - Tarantulas have very bad eyesight, and mostly work on vibrations. No way will it be able to see your beardie from across the room.
All my exotics are in one room - Tarantulas, beardie, chameleon, frogs, snakes etc, and none of them are bothered by each other.
I would keep the spider out of eye line of the beardie thou, mine will bolt across the room if she sees me with locust tub in hand feeding something else. I wouldn't be surprised if she tried getting at a spider if she had a chance.