• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New arrival

RonC

3 Year Member
Got my G. pulchra today. About 25 mm dls. Realized the enclosure was too big so I found a small condiment cup and prepared it for the new T. Walked back in to move it to the new habitat and it had already crawled off the paper towel and burrowed into the too big habitat. Got to see it for all of 5 minutes. Here's a picture of it resting from it's journey before it disappeared.
IMG_0488.JPG

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very nice, I like the tank too.
I'm inclined to agree with White Lightning, unless it's easy to catch without causing you or the tarantula stress you might as well leave it be. I find crickets to be very inquisitive, sooner or later they will investigate the wrong hole. Once the spider is settled in you'll soon find out where it is living and be able to drop food right in front of it.

RonC

3 Year Member
This little booger burrowed right in the middle of the enclosure. Looks like I stuck a pencil in the substrate. It'll grow into the enclosure eventually. I think I've figured out a pattern for the holes in the enclosure that doesn't block the view too much. Cork hide is way too big too. May be why it immediately burrowed.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A lot of species are known to burrow as slings even if that is not their habit later in life. It may be too late but you could try putting holes against the glass at various stages in the moisture gradient, it may move as the tank settles and a gradient is established but the middle will likely be "just right" anyway. :)

Greg

3 Year Member
It could stay underground for two months or more in a stretch. It will test your patience. Try not to worry; it will eventually emerge. If you got a couple of meals into it before descent underground, it should be ok.

RonC

3 Year Member
It comes out to hunt at night and moved it's burrow to the side of the enclosure. Not going to overfeed this one. Think they might get a full belly and go hide till they are hungry again or molt. My G. pulchripes hasn't poked it's head out in a few weeks after it ate a couple of meals.

Latest posts