• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nervous About How I Should Handle My Rosie

KayleesBellaDoma

3 Year Member
So, I'd like to be clear first off. I am not afraid of spiders, I obviously wouldn't be here or have bought Bella if I was. I'm not concerned about being bitten if it's because of my own doing, but to be perfectly honest, I'm nervous about how I should go about picking her up.

She was very good tonight, I had my hand flat and she touched one of her legs to it and then just turned and walked away. I was so proud of her and myself for having the tiniest little bonding moment.

I've been handed T's before and never even batted an eyelash. But now that she's my responsibility that makes me nervous. I just don't want ever want to hurt her. How do you feel is the best way to pick up your T without stressing them out or scaring them.

Feel free to laugh all you want lol, I know this all sounds so stupid and silly.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
For the safety of the T I like to use a large plastic cup or container to get the T in and out of its enclosure. Place the container in front of the T in the enclosure and gently encourage it to crawl inside by touching a rear leg or the abdomen. This will also give you an idea of how receptive to handling the T is on any given day. If there's a lot of hair flicking or threat display leave it be. Once inside the cup cover the top with your hand and take it to a safe place to handle/interact with the T. I like putting a towel on the floor and sitting so I can keep the T low in case of a fall. Them use the cup to transfer it back to the enclosure.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, I'd like to be clear first off. I am not afraid of spiders, I obviously wouldn't be here or have bought Bella if I was. I'm not concerned about being bitten if it's because of my own doing, but to be perfectly honest, I'm nervous about how I should go about picking her up.

She was very good tonight, I had my hand flat and she touched one of her legs to it and then just turned and walked away. I was so proud of her and myself for having the tiniest little bonding moment.

I've been handed T's before and never even batted an eyelash. But now that she's my responsibility that makes me nervous. I just don't want ever want to hurt her. How do you feel is the best way to pick up your T without stressing them out or scaring them.

Feel free to laugh all you want lol, I know this all sounds so stupid and silly.

Hello
No one should laugh at you,if they do well you're not the one in the wrong. As for handling,look at the T's attitude in general like aggressive defensive skittish docile but remember their are exceptions to the rule. If you say try and handle an arboreal,remember they jump and are usually fast ! Not to mention,could be defensive or aggressive. Take into consideration, that a fall could kill it,or seriously injure it even if its an arboreal. So no heights etc ! When looking at terrestrial T's,they are usually not made to climb,have bulkier bodies etc. What applied above in the way of temperament,the same applies with these. So I'd say study 1st step,meaning what others have found handling T's also check bite reports haha !

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
hi there
I usually test the temperament of the tarantula I would like to handle with a straw. That way if she is in a bad mood and attacks the straw it wont hurt her fangs. Just touch her hind legs with a straw (I know some people prefer a paintbrush) and if she doesn't run away, attack or flick hairs she is probably good for handling. Calmly steer her so she climb on your hand. Try not to make any sudden movements and keep her close to the ground since a fall could kill or hurt her. Keep a deli container close by for in case she decide she had enough and tries to make a break for it. The most important thing is to be as calm, and enjoy the time with your tarantula. :)

KayleesBellaDoma

3 Year Member
:D She did it! Oh my goodness, she did so well. She didn't strike once and just marched right up to my hand and climbed right up. I would've taken a picture but my husband was busy in the other room and I didn't want to startle her by calling for him. She walked up my arm a little bit, stopped and then slowly turned around and walked back down my arm and onto her rock bridge we have in her tank. I just can't stop smiling. She did amazing.

:) I'll see if she's up to it again tonight and then maybe get a nice picture with her.

KayleesBellaDoma

3 Year Member
Thank you all, I just can't believe how easy that was. I was just so worried about hurting her, I was holding myself back from building a meaningful bond with her. Thank you all again so much for all the advice :D

Quandry

3 Year Member
I always test my B. vagans with a paintbrush (I'm an entomologist. Paintbrushes and forceps are tools of the trade hah!). My curly hair has never so much as flicked hairs at me (though it has at its dinner), so I feel pretty confident in just coaxing Albus onto my hand. The worst I can ever expect from it is that it will be a bit active sometimes at night and wander a bit too fast off my hand. My new A. hertzi has been really easy to handle, but I still test each time I hold him. So far not so much as a little grump.

Latest posts