• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need some help....

Tcole91

I work at my local animal control and I’m the only one with invertebrate experience... and it’s not extensive.
Only Ts I’ve worked with are a Goliath bird eater and a red knee... and I’ve NEVER dealt with slings

We got a momma in with an egg sac and my management ordered me to remove it and wouldn’t provide me supplies to make an incubator... I did what I could and now they are hatching.
I do not know where to go from here and I’m not even 100% sure what species I’m dealing with here.

Any help is much needed and appreciated!

Attachments

• 646EE8A7-7599-41FF-9FE6-8B8CAB1AE6A7.jpeg
    646EE8A7-7599-41FF-9FE6-8B8CAB1AE6A7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
  • AF302765-4E90-47A5-83A7-A31AF3F19488.jpeg
    AF302765-4E90-47A5-83A7-A31AF3F19488.jpeg
    807.4 KB · Views: 38

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I work at my local animal control and I’m the only one with invertebrate experience... and it’s not extensive.
Only Ts I’ve worked with are a Goliath bird eater and a red knee... and I’ve NEVER dealt with slings

We got a momma in with an egg sac and my management ordered me to remove it and wouldn’t provide me supplies to make an incubator... I did what I could and now they are hatching.
I do not know where to go from here and I’m not even 100% sure what species I’m dealing with here.

Any help is much needed and appreciated!
That is a Nicaraguan curly hair (Brachypelma albopilosum). There is another form (hobby form) but it's Honduran. The main difference between the two is that the Nicaraguans hair is much more curly and appears to be fluffier if that makes sense. You did a good thing by placing them in a coffee filter (if that's what i see in the pic). Several folks do that to incubate. I would have placed the coffee filter in a deep cup or jar and filled it halfway with water. Take a rubberband and put it around the top of the filter after folding it over the rim of the jar so the rubberband holds it in place. The water in the jar/cup will provide ample humidity needed for the eggs to molt into their instars. :)

Also, some people use the same method but instead of a coffee filter they use pantyhose/stockings.

Tcole91

That is a Nicaraguan curly hair (Brachypelma albopilosum). There is another form (hobby form) but it's Honduran. The main difference between the two is that the Nicaraguans hair is much more curly and appears to be fluffier if that makes sense. You did a good thing by placing them in a coffee filter (if that's what i see in the pic). Several folks do that to incubate. I would have placed the coffee filter in a deep cup or jar and filled it halfway with water. Take a rubberband and put it around the top of the filter after folding it over the rim of the jar so the rubberband holds it in place. The water in the jar/cup will provide ample humidity needed for the eggs to molt into their instars. :)

Also, some people use the same method but instead of a coffee filter they use pantyhose/stockings.

I actually have them in a plastic “shoe box” container the bottom is lined with damp paper towels, and I have 5 cups lined with dry paper towels with 25-30 eggs in each cup.

I’m not sure what to do now.
Leave them alone? For how long?
When do I feed them? When do I separate them?
When will they start to molt?

Sorry I have so many questions

GermanGamer7

Don't take any advice from me; I am not nearly as experienced as @Casey K. and @Arachnoclown, but in my humble opinion you should try and sell them or raise them. Not many people want wild Brachypelma albopilosum in St. Louis XD
If you need a buyer then we got a part of the forum for that: https://tarantulaforum.com/forums/for-sale.14/
Anyway, always take advice from @Casey K. and @Arachnoclown over mine as they are loads more experienced than I am. I'm an amateur.

GermanGamer7

These are babies. They definitely will need lots of food I think. However I just study spiders and don't actually own any, so never take care advice from me. If someone says I am wrong, I AM DEFINITELY wrong. TL;DR I am always wrong until proven otherwise.
I'm assuming it's really hard to take care of that many tarantulas, so you might need to sell a few

Tcole91

Don't take any advice from me; I am not nearly as experienced as @Casey K. and @Arachnoclown, but in my humble opinion you should try and sell them or raise them. Not many people want wild Brachypelma albopilosum in St. Louis XD
If you need a buyer then we got a part of the forum for that: https://tarantulaforum.com/forums/for-sale.14/
Anyway, always take advice from @Casey K. and @Arachnoclown over mine as they are loads more experienced than I am. I'm an amateur.

I can’t make any decisions in regards to where they go, they’re the legal custody of animal control. I’m just employed here. I’d love to take them if I’m allowed to but that’s not up for discussion in regards to the case at the moment

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you want to sell, or get rid of them at third instar(thats when they feed and are strong enough to ship), let us know. I'll take ten. Or twenty. So, management said remove it but provided no further instructions? Remove it for what? Why? And what do they intend? To raise them and adopt them out? Im confused..

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so to confirm what others have said...

1. That is Brachypelma albopolisum (nicuraguan/true form) common name = Curly hair. Very pretty too.
2. The spiderlings at that stage will absorb the yolk and so do not need separating yet.
3. @MassExodus spot on for any shipping.
4. Advice from your peers/superiors is a little disappointing IMHO given the role and service they perform but that's just my opinion.
5. Why not suggest selling so that proceeds go to the shelter?
6. depending on how many slings there are, you will eventually need a lot of sling pots/vials etc to house them before they start cannibalising. It can be some effort but for the benefit of the little babies, it's worth it.
Good luck.:)