• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need opinions on which T to get please

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Ok so I am just getting back into the hobby after about 8 years and I have found a few T's I am interested in.
I am by no means an expert on these amazing creatures, so I need help deciding which one to get.
I want to get one that doesn't stay burrowed all the time.
It needs to be fairly easy to take care of, for example I don't want one where I constantly have to worry if it's humid enough in the enclosure.
I don't necessarily need to be able to hold it, but it would be nice if it didn't try to escape every time I open the top for feeding.

So here's the list of my choices:
*Lasiadora parahybana - $18 (3/4-1in)
*Pternochilus murinus - $25 (1.5-2in)
*Brachypelma albopilosum - $36 (2-2.5in)
*Cyriopagopus schiodteii - $36 (1-1.5in)
*Cyriopagopus sp. "Hati hati" - $36 (1.5-2in)
*Poecilotheria ornata - $36 (2.5-4in)
*Lampropelma violaceopes - $38 (1.5-2in)

If you have any of these, let me know which one you think would be the best re-starter T to have.

For some of the ones I've been looking at, it says you can use potting soil for their substrate, now does that mean I can go to the store and buy a bag? or do I have to order a special kind? or what is the best substrate to use? Last time I had them we were using the blocks of EcoEarth.
Also, how hard is it to take care of slings? I have seen some on the website I'm looking at that are like .5 inches and that just seems so tiny and fragile, I don't know if I could take care of it that tiny.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jennifer,
it isnt hard to take care of a sling if u get a hardy one. I just started keeping them in January of this year and started with a b. smithi sling about .5 inches. Also from ur list other than the b. albopilosum, looks like a list of intermediate to advanced tarantulas. i would suggest going with one from the brachypelma genus. b. smithi if u ask me, but i might me a bit bias. :) And if you need anything just let us know. everyone on here loves to help out.

Happy hunting,
Frank

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Jennifer,
it isnt hard to take care of a sling if u get a hardy one. I just started keeping them in January of this year and started with a b. smithi sling about .5 inches. Also from ur list other than the b. albopilosum, looks like a list of intermediate to advanced tarantulas. i would suggest going with one from the brachypelma genus. b. smithi if u ask me, but i might me a bit bias. :) And if you need anything just let us know. everyone on here loves to help out.

Happy hunting,
Frank
Thank you, I do really want to get a B. Smithi. They are so beautiful, but the only ones I can find (that I can afford right now) are slings. I just don't want the heartbreak of finding it dead if I mess up :(. But if they're not that hard to take care of, I might consider it a little more.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you, I do really want to get a B. Smithi. They are so beautiful, but the only ones I can find (that I can afford right now) are slings. I just don't want the heartbreak of finding it dead if I mess up :(. But if they're not that hard to take care of, I might consider it a little more.
nope not at all. mine is about 2 inches now. :) and i love her/him.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've kept the following 4 from slings
Lasiadora parahybana - easy as anything to care for, they grow like weeds.
Brachypelma albopilosum - adorable and very placid
Brachypelma smithi - again easy to keep and placid.
Cyriopagopus schiodteii - builds great web tunnels up into the branches but will run to hide if disturbed