• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

need help identifying a T

chad smulders

3 Year Member
hi all! i'm new to the forum and haven't introduced myself yet, this is my first post!

I just picked up a new tarantula from the local pet shop. it was sold to the store as a spiderling as a redrump but it sure doesn't look like one. he sold it to me really cheap just to get rid of it.

i don't know what kind of T it is, though. also I have owned a few chileans, but instead of having a pit on it's carapace it has a growth (according to the tarantula keepers guide there is 2 groups of tarantulas - ceratogyrus and sphaerobothria that have these)

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • photo 1 (3).JPG
    photo 1 (3).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17

TJB13

3 Year Member
Looks like your right. Ceratogyrus darlingi. Is she fairly mean? Maybe that's why he didnt want it anymore haha. I don't own any from this genus. Very nice looking T though.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely one of the african species. I am not as experienced with them, someone else should be able to give you a positive ID. Awesome find.
I currently have a few A ezendami, I mira, and C darlingi slings. No experience with adults, yet.

chad smulders

3 Year Member
(s)he is quite calm, maybe from being moved around so much on the way home

i am looking forward very much to her growing, she is about 2.5" right now :D

Latest posts