• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice on my tarantula!!!!

Steve66

I may be being paranoid here but my A Seemani (think thats the scientific name for a Costa Rican Zebra, correct me if I'm wrong, still learning!) But she's been sat in the same corner for over a week now barely eaten anything, not really moved (know that's normalish).
She did at start, start going into her hide, then seemed to preferred this corner.
Only got concerned as she seemed to be curling her legs under herself, going into death curl. But instead of showing signs of the death curl when slightly disturbed, she seems alert and okay.
About the set up.
She is currently in a large fanarium (around 30x15x20cm), she has a heat mat as my room go below 18 Celsius, a good amount of substrate, fresh water daily, the end I have the heat mat is where the water dish is and I keep the area slightly moist.

She has webbed slightly where she is sitting, so not sure if she is going into pre moult?

Any advice would be great, or just tell me I'm being paranoid and chill!!

Attached some pics so you can see what I'm dealing with

Attachments

• IMG_20190503_193611.jpg
    IMG_20190503_193611.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190503_193829.jpg
    IMG_20190503_193829.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20190503_193901.jpg
    IMG_20190503_193901.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37

Nunua

3 Year Member
Welcome to the hobby!
First of all, yes, it's totally normal for a tarantula to sit in one corner doing nothing. They also may have long fasting periods even if they are not in premoult :) What comes to webbing, tarantulas web the substrate to have an amazing amplifier for vibrations! With the webbing and long hair on their body (setae) they have a magnificent ability to sense vibrations and their direction. Even if you don't see her moving much, she's most likely doing so while everyone sleeps and there is no disturbance around.

What comes to photos, she seems healthy to me. There is not curling underneath - in the first photo she sits in what we call a stress curl. Tarantula hides its carapace and eyes under the legs to be smaller and "hidden". Also, if there is occasional curling underneath, it can be as simply as grooming or "tarantula yoga" - for example my P. tigrinawesseli sling has sometimes 5 legs curled underneath while still hanging from the enclosure wall. Also, death curl happens relatively fast as the tarantula loses the internal fluid pressure and has no "strenght" to straighten the legs anymore.

Just give her time and peace, and take the heatmat away from under the enclosure. Tarantulas dig down when they try to get away from the heat. If we put a heat mat under the enclosure, we keep messing with their instincts. I'm also pretty sure that you won't need the mat, but if you want to have it, support it against one wall and use a thermostat.

Steve66

Thanks for the reply, been a long time since I have kept tarantulas. Heat mat is on the side of the Viv, other side from where she spends her time. It's set to 20 Celsius so runs at around 20-21 Celsius warm end and 18 -20 cool end. learnt that the hard way when I was younger!

Thought it was nothing to worry about just was getting worried as I lost a Chile rose (along time ago) and recently a Mexican red knee, both did the same thing then passed away.

Turned the heat mat off for now, so see if she improves or if she is being a drama queen

Moving her into a slightly smaller Viv when it arrives in next week or so. Had her for about 2 months now and not actually seen her eat. Attempt to feed at very least once a week, obviously taking it out if not wanting it.

Tnoob

Thanks for the reply, been a long time since I have kept tarantulas. Heat mat is on the side of the Viv, other side from where she spends her time. It's set to 20 Celsius so runs at around 20-21 Celsius warm end and 18 -20 cool end. learnt that the hard way when I was younger!

Thought it was nothing to worry about just was getting worried as I lost a Chile rose (along time ago) and recently a Mexican red knee, both did the same thing then passed away.

Turned the heat mat off for now, so see if she improves or if she is being a drama queen

Moving her into a slightly smaller Viv when it arrives in next week or so. Had her for about 2 months now and not actually seen her eat. Attempt to feed at very least once a week, obviously taking it out if not wanting it.
Ditch the heat mat for your T. Only use one for your feeder colony. I leave my windows open 24/7 because I love the fresh air. It's been below 50 f at night all last week, and this week isn't better. 80's during the day. So far I still have two fairly "happy" spiders. Maybe a little hungry, but happy.

Latest posts