• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Naturalistic Substrates/Enclosures

Mygalomorphic

After a few years of experimentation I finally found an enclosure "style" that works for me. For anything other than the final enclosures I am using whatever cheap, acrylic container I can find that will be best for the specific spider. Substrate wise I use coco fiber and maybe sphagnum, water dish, and a piece of cork.

When a spider is ready for it's final enclosure I like glass terrariums and try to mimic the native environment visually. I would say I aim for more naturalistic than bioactive as I don't tend to use cleaning crews and I don't use live plants. I'm sort of inspired by the dioramas at natural history museums or zoo enclosures. Personally I just like the way they look and it adds some interest especially for those species that you don't find out that often.

Tropical jungle and temperate enclosures are fairly easy to design and look pretty good but I am struggling with arid/desert enclosures. The main issue is finding a substrate that looks natural. Just dumping sand in isn't pleasing to the eye and most spiders don't like it either. I like the look of Stone Desert substrate by Exo Terra but in my area it doesn't seem to be sold in any stores. The only place I have found it is on Ebay or a very few other pet supply places but once you factor in shipping the cost is exorbitant.

If there is anyone else out there that likes naturalistic builds I'd love to see your enclosures or hear any tips you have for design but I am especially curious to see what people are using for arid substrates.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If there is anyone else out there that likes naturalistic builds I'd love to see your enclosures or hear any tips you have for design but I am especially curious to see what people are using for arid substrates.
I've been a big display enclosure person until it became impractical with the number of animals I keep, so I began to orient my enclosures towards easiest to keep/maintain with the understanding that all but final are temporary. I am starting to build and move to biometric enclosures for adults that will become display animals.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
After a few years of experimentation I finally found an enclosure "style" that works for me. For anything other than the final enclosures I am using whatever cheap, acrylic container I can find that will be best for the specific spider. Substrate wise I use coco fiber and maybe sphagnum, water dish, and a piece of cork.

When a spider is ready for it's final enclosure I like glass terrariums and try to mimic the native environment visually. I would say I aim for more naturalistic than bioactive as I don't tend to use cleaning crews and I don't use live plants. I'm sort of inspired by the dioramas at natural history museums or zoo enclosures. Personally I just like the way they look and it adds some interest especially for those species that you don't find out that often.

Tropical jungle and temperate enclosures are fairly easy to design and look pretty good but I am struggling with arid/desert enclosures. The main issue is finding a substrate that looks natural. Just dumping sand in isn't pleasing to the eye and most spiders don't like it either. I like the look of Stone Desert substrate by Exo Terra but in my area it doesn't seem to be sold in any stores. The only place I have found it is on Ebay or a very few other pet supply places but once you factor in shipping the cost is exorbitant.

I heard excavator clay could be cool, especially as backgrounds but I cant speak on if its actually good or beneficial to the T.

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
I heard excavator clay could be cool, especially as backgrounds but I cant speak on if its actually good or beneficial to the T.
I've done clay backgrounds before for dart frog vivariums. Clay is really heavy. Thank goodness tarantula enclosures are smaller than frog enclosures. Just be aware of the weight factor. If you have to move enclosures for feeding or maintenance, a clay background would grow tiresome.

Mygalomorphic

I've done clay backgrounds before for dart frog vivariums. Clay is really heavy. Thank goodness tarantula enclosures are smaller than frog enclosures. Just be aware of the weight factor. If you have to move enclosures for feeding or maintenance, a clay background would grow tiresome.
I’ve been looking at the excavator clay and it is cool. It’s still not quite the look I want. Maybe if I mixed it with sand and some pebbles.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Clay powder is what you want. Just make sure it has no calcium bicarbonate. Pottery clay should do the trick, it's generally inert and safe and comes in all sorts of colors. Kaolin powder might work too, though ive yet to test it on anything.

You will want equal portions of sand, silt and clay. Silt is very fine sand. this will create 'Loam', which is what tarantulas generally like the most. It drains fast, holds stability well, and looks great. Mixing in some vigoro pea gravel would help it look a bit more natural.

Mygalomorphic

Clay powder is what you want. Just make sure it has no calcium bicarbonate. Pottery clay should do the trick, it's generally inert and safe and comes in all sorts of colors. Kaolin powder might work too, though ive yet to test it on anything.

You will want equal portions of sand, silt and clay. Silt is very fine sand. this will create 'Loam', which is what tarantulas generally like the most. It drains fast, holds stability well, and looks great. Mixing in some vigoro pea gravel would help it look a bit more natural.
Thank you! That’s a great idea. I was looking at bentonite or kaolin powder but wasn’t sure if I could use it and the color wasn’t ideal. Do you have a particular brand you have used?

MBullock

3 Year Member
Thank you! That’s a great idea. I was looking at bentonite or kaolin powder but wasn’t sure if I could use it and the color wasn’t ideal. Do you have a particular brand you have used?
i live in an area with alot of diverse soil types so i just collect my own. you could probably also dye plain white kaolin and get whatever color you want

Latest posts