• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N.chromatus

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
itqhDSp_d.jpg

Tnoob

I don's see any tibial hooks, or a secondary web duct though. I am new, but I thought that was the identifier for males. If this is your final molt you should see those things as well as "boxing gloves" I thought. I could be wrong. What I have seen is breeders sexing a T by taking the molt, soaking it in water and detergent for an hour, and spreading the thorax and laying it flat, and using a closed safety pin, and a a microscope, or magnifying glass to find the "flap" between the first set of book lungs. As far as I can tell this is a female. No, my screen name isn't a joke, it's a factual representation of my applied knowledge, but I think I might be helpful.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don's see any tibial hooks, or a secondary web duct though. I am new, but I thought that was the identifier for males. If this is your final molt you should see those things as well as "boxing gloves" I thought. I could be wrong. What I have seen is breeders sexing a T by taking the molt, soaking it in water and detergent for an hour, and spreading the thorax and laying it flat, and using a closed safety pin, and a a microscope, or magnifying glass to find the "flap" between the first set of book lungs. As far as I can tell this is a female. No, my screen name isn't a joke, it's a factual representation of my applied knowledge, but I think I might be helpful.
Tibial hooks and 'boxing gloves' would only be present on the ultimate moult for males (Mature Male). This is only a juvenile and so none of those tell tale signs would be present (yet). You are correct in pointing out these factors but only when mature. You are also correct about the best sexing method being through moults examination as there will always be an element of guess work with the ventral sexing method. based on spacing and positioning of book lungs and the lack of any crescent between the top 2 set of book lungs I am still sticking to my prediction of Male (for now anyway until a moult confirms one way or the other).

Tnoob

Tibial hooks and 'boxing gloves' would only be present on the ultimate moult for males (Mature Male). This is only a juvenile and so none of those tell tale signs would be present (yet). You are correct in pointing out these factors but only when mature. You are also correct about the best sexing method being through moults examination as there will always be an element of guess work with the ventral sexing method. based on spacing and positioning of book lungs and the lack of any crescent between the top 2 set of book lungs I am still sticking to my prediction of Male (for now anyway until a moult confirms one way or the other).
Yeah, I am still learning myself. So I thought I would run that by everyone, and see what is said. Thank you for the reply.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Agreed.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If the sexing guru agrees then who am I to argue ;) :)

Lol....thank you....i still make mistakes but i am getting better. :) @Austin S. actually taught me quite a few things about sexing T's. I owe most of my knowledge to him.

Latest posts