• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Theraphosa

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Here's my big girl, "Rambo". Daughter named her that b/c she is a killer with a mean streak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do your Stirmis ever stridulate at you? My male would do it when he was in a "don't come near me" mood. Quite often, in other words :) I miss that, he was my only spider that's ever done that. Made me smile every time. He never went any further though, no threat poses or slapping, just the hissing noise.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Mine is a prick. Threat poses, slaps, runs, atracks. Real mean. I'd love for her to tolerate handling, not for her of course, but bc I want some interaction for me. But not gonna happen with this one. Wild caught. Maybe the 2" specimen will b different

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ha. Me too. My G porteri is a bore. Lol
I got the vid above working to show her stridulating^^^
Believe it or not, the only really mean spider I have is a 2 1/2" G pulchripes...this little guy will actively try to bite me. No threat poses, no hair kicking, just an attempt to wrap and bite. He's almost gotten me twice now changing his water dish and removing a bolus. It's not a feeding response either, he'll chase my hand right out of his enclosure and continue trying to bite while he hangs on the wall...insane behavior. I think he fell out of the sac onto his head or something..

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Lol. That is crazy how some are so different than others even of same species. My porteri almost "likes" being handled altho it's said it's impossible for them to have feelings. She loves the heat my hand gives off, and lowers down and "sleeps" for long periods of time. An old porteri I had wouldn't let me handle him and slapped at me all the time

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol. That is crazy how some are so different than others even of same species. My porteri almost "likes" being handled altho it's said it's impossible for them to have feelings. She loves the heat my hand gives off, and lowers down and "sleeps" for long periods of time. An old porteri I had wouldn't let me handle him and slapped at me all the time
I've heard of that before, the body heat thing. I've found that most of my tarantulas that have been really tolerant were males, which makes my pulchripes even more of an oddball.

Latest posts