• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My terrarium. Opinions?

laMort

3 Year Member
My terrarium looks like this, what do you think of it? It's 30x30x30 cm's big and I'm planning to get b.smithi or g.rosea for my first T.

terraperra.jpg

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
It's beautiful but it doesn't hold enough substrate for a terrestrial. #1 Many like to burrow, and #2 there is too much space from the top of the substrate to the top of the terrarium. If a B smithi or G rosea climb that wall and fall, it very well could be fatal. It's a fantastic terrarium though. Maybe an Avicularia or Psalmopoeus?

entomology

3 Year Member
That terrarium seems to be perfect for the species you wish to house. don't be too concerned for the fall as this does happen often when arachnids are active during the night and also remember you have some nice peat moss as a soft landing :) although they are terrestrial they like to climb so don't limit that too much. The only real time when they will slip from the glass is when they are almost in premolt. The 2 species you have mentioned also are T's that like to be in the open and not really hide but some do. I'm sure the T will love its new enclosure. regards R

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That terrarium seems to be perfect for the species you wish to house. don't be too concerned for the fall as this does happen often when arachnids are active during the night and also remember you have some nice peat moss as a soft landing :) although they are terrestrial they like to climb so don't limit that too much. The only real time when they will slip from the glass is when they are almost in premolt. The 2 species you have mentioned also are T's that like to be in the open and not really hide but some do. I'm sure the T will love its new enclosure. regards R

I strongly disagree. That terrarium is much more arboreal friendly. For a stocky terrestrial, you want to give them the oppertunity to burrow if they so choose. There's not enough peat for that.
As far as height, for a terrestrial that's just to high. a fall on the peat probably wouldn't kill it (it could) but a fall on the water bowl, or hide could..

Bree Castrat

3 Year Member
I really like this, as an arboreal set-up! May I ask where you found this? I think my Pink-Toe would love it!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately, you still have the same problems you initially had. That is just not a Terrestrial friendly enclosure imo.
and the top looks like it's at least partially glass/plastic which may cause a high humidity eviroment.

entomology

3 Year Member
-laMort. Tarantulas have an open respiratory system so require very little oxygen in the terrarium, but just watch humidity and temp and allow some cross ventilation which is gud. I suggest u gauge the temp and humidity as this shout always be done as remember there are different species of tarantulas which have different habitat requirements, but always refer to a care sheet as that is the ideal requirements always suggested and the data is mostly captured by scientists in the field. Dnt always listen to ppl that have a negative opinion trust me they the ones that always make the mistakes!!!!! Just make sure there is fresh oxygen exchange and watch out for fungus then the air will be stale and humidity a bit high.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
-laMort. Tarantulas have an open respiratory system so require very little oxygen in the terrarium, but just watch humidity and temp and allow some cross ventilation which is gud. I suggest u gauge the temp and humidity as this shout always be done as remember there are different species of tarantulas which have different habitat requirements, but always refer to a care sheet as that is the ideal requirements always suggested and the data is mostly captured by scientists in the field. Dnt always listen to ppl that have a negative opinion trust me they the ones that always make the mistakes!!!!! Just make sure there is fresh oxygen exchange and watch out for fungus then the air will be stale and humidity a bit high.

Did you just refer to my opinion being a negative one...?
If so, you're wrong. It's not negative, It's just a differing opinion. And considering that the point of a place like this is an exchange of information, isn't that why we're here?
In the case of a rose, they are a desert species. So, letting the substrate dry is the most ideal condition for it.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Humidity is essential in the fact that they need hydration, but that can be acheived by a water bowl alone. They don't need 60% humidity. All my Desert species do very well between 30-40%

entomology

3 Year Member
A water dish is perfect yes, but u still need to monitor the ambient room temperature etc as this will gradually effect the humidity level .