• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Rosie wants to burrow...?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
She is frequently digging little pits all over her enclosure. Since I only have about 2.5 inches of substrate in there she really can't accomplish much. I thought about heaping the sub onto one side of the container to try to accomodate her. The thing is, what I'm using is dry coco fiber and I'm not sure that's going to work to support a burrow. I've had no experience with burrowing tarantulas (other than with babies, but then that was wet substrate and a teeny burrow; whereas my Rosie is an adult and on the required dry sub)...maybe you all could give me some advice. If she seems to want to burrow, should I set things up so that she can, or is it okay to just leave things as they are? She does have a hide that she uses, btw. Thanks very much. :)

Here's her enclosure...

Attachments

• Cage4.jpg
    Cage4.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 24

Deemar

3 Year Member
Terrestrial spiders will do that a lot, that's why their enclosures should be a lot different from arboreals. I only leave a couple of inches at the top of the tank and fill the rest with lots of deep substrate for them to dig, they're not going to climb anyway. Give it a couple of months and it'll look like a solitary ant farm. Once I had a Red Leg's burrow collapse and I had to dig it out, it didn't seem to know where the exit was.

Latest posts