• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My pink toe seems sick

Jongmyung

39576A97-507E-4704-BE58-F9B345305DDB.jpeg

Hi,

I took this guy on last Sunday.
So far he ate one small cricket 2 days ago and isn’t interested in it anymore.
He moved to side to side but now he just begin crawling like this.

Im just very worried..
Is there anything I can do? or is this not serious for arboreal tarantulas?

Please let me know..

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A full picture of the enclosure would help but at first glance I’d say it looks exposed. Fake plants and more hiding spaces might help it settle in more.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's not a good setup for an avic, it's more geared towards an non-avic arboreal like psalmopoeus or tapinauchenius, or a terrestrial. Avics don't live on the ground and don't go to ground often.

You want a tall enclosure with a vertical cork bark flat, leaves and cover up high. They live high off the ground, but if it feels exposed and uncomfortable it will stress and not thrive.

Search for avic enclosure, you will see many examples.

Jongmyung

It's not a good setup for an avic, it's more geared towards an non-avic arboreal like psalmopoeus or tapinauchenius, or a terrestrial. Avics don't live on the ground and don't go to ground often.

You want a tall enclosure with a vertical cork bark flat, leaves and cover up high. They live high off the ground, but if it feels exposed and uncomfortable it will stress and not thrive.

Search for avic enclosure, you will see many examples.

347A4847-36E1-4EAB-BC2E-DBA8CD523D75.jpeg

This was the first setting but it didn’t like the fake plant at all so I took it out.

yes I’ll go and get flat cork.

But I’m worried if his condition is bad..

I just have to leave it alone to not to give him stress right?

Seamus

3 Year Member
Hi I can't really tell from the picture but do you have any cross ventilation on your terrarium as avicularia need it. Also I agree with @octanejunkie about adding flat cork bark and some artificial plants to make it feel more safe and also a water dish as I cant see one in picture. Will post a photo of my avicularia setup. She is almost always out on her cork bark

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Before you go and spend more money on the setup it looks MM. if you can post a picture of the pedipalps then we can tell for sure. If it is then unfortunately you won’t have it for too long anyway.

Jongmyung

58708B5D-7AD2-4143-B10A-2DBEF8B62277.jpeg

A994B832-4DA3-4930-BFD5-5BC02B94569E.jpeg

This enclosure has ventilation on top.
I couldn’t find cork bark flat at the shop so bought the wood instead.
seems too big for the enclosure.
do I need to change the enclosure or wood?

one thing weird is this friend is hanging at the glass side mostly.
he had eaten only one small cricket for a week so far.
Is that still ok? I’m waiting him to get used to this new environment so he won’t be stressed out.

ahhh I’m so worried and sorry for this guy :(

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 46380
View attachment 46382
This enclosure has ventilation on top.
I couldn’t find cork bark flat at the shop so bought the wood instead.
seems too big for the enclosure.
do I need to change the enclosure or wood?

one thing weird is this friend is hanging at the glass side mostly.
he had eaten only one small cricket for a week so far.
Is that still ok? I’m waiting him to get used to this new environment so he won’t be stressed out.

ahhh I’m so worried and sorry for this guy :(
The enclosure is fine for him as is the wood, you can put some fake plants in to as he will feel more secure.. Most importantly make sure he has a full dish of water at all times..
As @Rs50matt says he is a MM ( mature male) which means unfortunately he won't live very long as once they mature they spend all there time going around there enclosure often 'tapping' as they go just looking for a female, they often won't eat and dehydrate very easily - you can offer food regularly but he won't eat much..
All you can do is make his enclosure as best you can for now and without sounding heartless don't worry to much as he won't be around for a long time :(
Where did you purchase him from?

Latest posts