• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Little Sling

rénee

3 Year Member
I recently got myself a little sling, a A. Avic. I don't know its gender yet, but for some reason i think its going to be a boy.. Im thinking of naming him Phantom because every time i see him he is in a completely different spot and in fact as how small the enclosure is i have a hard time finding him sometimes! He is quick, and well will be black when older. If its a girl.. well i don't know yet, i'll figure out a name yet haha. ANYWAYS..

My little was not eaten yet, i got it about… 3 Sundays ago, i have tried pre-killed meal worms both half and full, i have tried pre killed crickets, first time the little one got scared and clung itself to the top, the 2nd time i put the tiniest cricket i could find and it seemed to be ok with it, BUT… still isn't eating.. in fact, its like the little one is just playing with its food! I see it dragging its meal around, every time i seem to check on the little one the meal is in a different place, and right now its just sitting on top of the food, isn't doing anything nor is any of the worm missing.. just sitting on it lol, like "Yes.. i did kill you, and i own you" when in fact.. i pre-killed it.. but SHH :rolleyes:

Also, the little one seems to like webbing OVER it's water bowl.. so every time i go to change the water i destroy web, and then when i wake up the next day BAM, its been covered.. Lmao what a lil rascal..

But i got to say, having a sling is so much fun, adorable and just incredible to study their personality. I do have to say though it does make me worry it hasn't eaten, but hey, the little one is moving, clearly having fun with its food, and likes to web.. So all in all, it must be doing good :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The webbing over the water dish is just a part of keeping any heavy webbing species. That webbing that you're seeing is most likely just light webbing, meaning that the spider is getting situated with its new environment. Its probably not a part of the actual web that they construct as retreats, that'll be much thicker and have a funnel shape to it. Avic slings are often intimidated by larger prey items and seem to prefer prey much smaller than they are. Even then, some still shy away from live prey period until larger, so using prekilled was definitely a good idea. Don't worry about destroying part of the web when removing the lid, it won't bother it that much and it'll reweb fairly quickly. They do often take the hint as a matter of fact, and will web in a different area or perhaps at a slightly lower spot.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I so want one of those :) I think our next slings here are going to be an avic avic and an avic metallica. We're still fighting over who gets which :)

rénee

3 Year Member
Oh! I definitely want a Metallica or a Purpea :)

@Chubbs, yes I'm pretty sure it is just very light webbing, as i have seen from pictures this little ones webbing is not nearly that thick! But thats very good to hear that it is getting familiar and comfortable. How often do these types of slings generally molt? I know of course it all depends on how often they feed, and temperature and everything.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh! I definitely want a Metallica or a Purpea :)

@Chubbs, yes I'm pretty sure it is just very light webbing, as i have seen from pictures this little ones webbing is not nearly that thick! But thats very good to hear that it is getting familiar and comfortable. How often do these types of slings generally molt? I know of course it all depends on how often they feed, and temperature and everything.

Well I can't really say how often they molt, but I consider Avics to be a bit on the slower-growing side compared to most other arboreals. Still much faster than a Brachypelma mind you, but mine usually stay in premolt for a very long time (even as slings), and even though some of my Avics grow a bit faster than others, they don't really seem to gain much size after each molt. My A.diversipes and versicolor are fairly quick growing (for Avics), same thing with the amazonica and metallica. Although I don't own one yet, I have heard by many that A.purpurea is among the slowest growing of all Avics.

This doesn't have anything to do with Avics, but I had two P.cambridgei that I received as slings a little over a year ago. Both were about the same exact size, and both appear to be female as well. I feed them about the same amount and the same frequency, and they are kept in identical enclosures with a pretty constant temperature. However one seems to be growing much faster than the other. The larger girl is about 5 inches now while her sister is still a bit behind, measuring just under 4 inches maybe. When you look at them though, you can definitely tell there is a noticeable size difference. While temperature, humidity, gender, and feeding frequency+amount all play a heavy role in growth rate, some individuals just seem to put on size at a quicker rate than the rest of their sac-mates. It's still a bit of a mystery to us.

rénee

3 Year Member
Well I can't really say how often they molt, but I consider Avics to be a bit on the slower-growing side compared to most other arboreals. Still much faster than a Brachypelma mind you, but mine usually stay in premolt for a very long time (even as slings), and even though some of my Avics grow a bit faster than others, they don't really seem to gain much size after each molt. My A.diversipes and versicolor are fairly quick growing (for Avics), same thing with the amazonica and metallica. Although I don't own one yet, I have heard by many that A.purpurea is among the slowest growing of all Avics.

This doesn't have anything to do with Avics, but I had two P.cambridgei that I received as slings a little over a year ago. Both were about the same exact size, and both appear to be female as well. I feed them about the same amount and the same frequency, and they are kept in identical enclosures with a pretty constant temperature. However one seems to be growing much faster than the other. The larger girl is about 5 inches now while her sister is still a bit behind, measuring just under 4 inches maybe. When you look at them though, you can definitely tell there is a noticeable size difference. While temperature, humidity, gender, and feeding frequency+amount all play a heavy role in growth rate, some individuals just seem to put on size at a quicker rate than the rest of their sac-mates. It's still a bit of a mystery to us.

Ya like the little one is quite active at times, and then other times just sits there for hours, hasn't eaten, but my the bum sure has gotten big since i first had it. Then my Rosea hasn't eaten either and i've had her for about 6 weeks now, but again, they tend to fast.. I'm starting to think they are both in pre-molt. It is just tough to get over that factor that they just may not eat regularly(or at least havnt in my care). Im use to pets that do, it drives me nuts lmao.

Well and really as for the 1 may grow faster than the other from the same sac, its kind of like anything else too. Why was my brother a midget for years but my other brother and i grew tall so quickly.. Why did my 1 cat come out orange, while the other came out brown :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Metabolism. Just like people. You got those people out there that can eat and eat and never gain weight. My guess is spiders are like that also. I know dogs and other animals are.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Metabolism. Just like people. You got those people out there that can eat and eat and never gain weight. My guess is spiders are like that also. I know dogs and other animals are.

It could be, but then again we know so little about these animals, let alone how metabolism works with each individual. It just goes to show you how little research has really been committed to these animals.

rénee

3 Year Member
I agree with the little research but in a different matter, where I live only 3 T ' s are legal.. really.. why only 3, I can understand if they were highly venomous, or actually posed a huge threat to society, but there is so many more out there that dont, and honestly a lot of them who need higher humidity, wet or dry soil, whatever it is they need to survive couldn't be offered if they were escape.. I don't think they could pose to much of a threat to others if 1 escaped.. like my scorpions. You really think if they got out they could get very far?

I mean maybe there is a greater reason as to why only 3 are allowed and SO many are not, but personally I think it's because they couldn't be bother or give a shirt enough to do some research..

rénee

3 Year Member
I fed the little one a pretty big worm yesterday, and it has been sitting on it all night pretty much, and right now has it in the water dish, again sitting on it. Is it possible that it is trying to soften up the worm, or simply just fooling around lmao.

I would take a pic but my phone broke :(

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My slings also do that. They are actually sucking the insides of that worm! It is different for larger Ts because they are like chewing on the worm. But small or big, Ts eat by liquefying their food using venom.

You'll notice it when the slings are finished eating. The worms left will be just the shells with the insides hollow. :D

rénee

3 Year Member
My slings also do that. They are actually sucking the insides of that worm! It is different for larger Ts because they are like chewing on the worm. But small or big, Ts eat by liquefying their food using venom.

You'll notice it when the slings are finished eating. The worms left will be just the shells with the insides hollow. :D
I had a feeling that was happening! The little one has been at this worm for hours, I'm so happy lol. It's the first time either of my T ' s have eaten!

Is it normal to feel this excited about a feeding o_O
I can imagine how I'll feel when they finally molt lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I still get happy each and every time they eat, just pleases me to know they're okay. Then again, I like to watch them burrow , web and do their little happy dance :)

rénee

3 Year Member
It's just so cute, it's little mouth open as wide as can be, engulfing this meal, doing little body wiggles while eating. I feel this little one is going to have quite the personality once older :)

My Rosea threw a threat pose at me once again yesterday lol, dang girl has an attitude some days haha

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with the little research but in a different matter, where I live only 3 T ' s are legal.. really.. why only 3, I can understand if they were highly venomous, or actually posed a huge threat to society, but there is so many more out there that dont, and honestly a lot of them who need higher humidity, wet or dry soil, whatever it is they need to survive couldn't be offered if they were escape.. I don't think they could pose to much of a threat to others if 1 escaped.. like my scorpions. You really think if they got out they could get very far?

I mean maybe there is a greater reason as to why only 3 are allowed and SO many are not, but personally I think it's because they couldn't be bother or give a shirt enough to do some research..

I've never heard of anything like this. Normally when a state or country bans them, it's either non-native species that are illegal to own (as is the case in Australia), a particular genus (Poecilotheria are illegal in parts of Germany and Avicularia were once illegal in Florida), or they are just banned all together. Are you sure this is 100 percent true? Did you hear about this from a single outside source or have multiple sources told you this? I'd do a bit of looking into it yourself if you haven't already. Something about that just seems a bit off to me.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

That's actually how araneomorphs (true spiders) eat. Even young mygalomorphs feed the same way that adults do, they just often don't eat the entire thing if the prey item is larger, and the bolus of prey items is obviously going to be smaller and more difficult to locate. Tarantulas, like any mygalomorph eat by secreting digestive enzymes while macerating (chewing) the prey, which they mash up into a sort of "soup" which they then slurp up, and the undigested parts are filtered out in the prcoess, and become part of the bolus.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's just so cute, it's little mouth open as wide as can be, engulfing this meal, doing little body wiggles while eating. I feel this little one is going to have quite the personality once older :)

My Rosea threw a threat pose at me once again yesterday lol, dang girl has an attitude some days haha
I've only seen 1 threat pose and that was this morning. My son's GBB gave a threat pose to the lateralis i dropped in the enclosure. Then shortly later he attacked it, then hid in the web he's building. I checked just a bit ago and the roach was dead where he attacked it. Guess Marley wasn't hungry.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I recently got myself a little sling, a A. Avic. I don't know its gender yet, but for some reason i think its going to be a boy.. Im thinking of naming him Phantom because every time i see him he is in a completely different spot and in fact as how small the enclosure is i have a hard time finding him sometimes! He is quick, and well will be black when older. If its a girl.. well i don't know yet, i'll figure out a name yet haha. ANYWAYS..

My little was not eaten yet, i got it about… 3 Sundays ago, i have tried pre-killed meal worms both half and full, i have tried pre killed crickets, first time the little one got scared and clung itself to the top, the 2nd time i put the tiniest cricket i could find and it seemed to be ok with it, BUT… still isn't eating.. in fact, its like the little one is just playing with its food! I see it dragging its meal around, every time i seem to check on the little one the meal is in a different place, and right now its just sitting on top of the food, isn't doing anything nor is any of the worm missing.. just sitting on it lol, like "Yes.. i did kill you, and i own you" when in fact.. i pre-killed it.. but SHH :rolleyes:

Also, the little one seems to like webbing OVER it's water bowl.. so every time i go to change the water i destroy web, and then when i wake up the next day BAM, its been covered.. Lmao what a lil rascal..

But i got to say, having a sling is so much fun, adorable and just incredible to study their personality. I do have to say though it does make me worry it hasn't eaten, but hey, the little one is moving, clearly having fun with its food, and likes to web.. So all in all, it must be doing good :)
They seem to take a while to molt...at least my juvenile did. It ate lots when I got it, and suddenly stopped. There was no physical "sign" of pre molt like a dark abdomen or balding...it was hairy and fluffy as can be, then one day, a freshly molted Avic avic waiting for me. As said earlier, offer pre killed, smaller prey and go from there

rénee

3 Year Member
I've never heard of anything like this. Normally when a state or country bans them, it's either non-native species that are illegal to own (as is the case in Australia), a particular genus (Poecilotheria are illegal in parts of Germany and Avicularia were once illegal in Florida), or they are just banned all together. Are you sure this is 100 percent true? Did you hear about this from a single outside source or have multiple sources told you this? I'd do a bit of looking into it yourself if you haven't already. Something about that just seems a bit off to me.
I pulled this off my Cities By-Laws on Animals:

(a) all venomous spiders, including, but not limited to, tarantula, black widow and solifugid, scorpion, except the following species of tarantula: Chilean Rose (Grammostola rosea), Mexican Red-Knee (Brachypelma smithi) and Pink-Toed (Avicularia); and

(b) all venomous arthropods, including, but not limited to, centipede.

Latest posts