• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my little friends so far

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice progress and pics! Thanks for posting

Do you find your A. versicolor slings need much earth to burrow like B. albopilosum slings do? How critical is the cork bark to either sp?
A. versicolor are arboreal. They don't burrow, they spin tube-webs up near the top of the enclosure. Cork bark is pretty much essential for them, as it gives them something to anchor webbing to.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A. versicolor are arboreal. They don't burrow, they spin tube-webs up near the top of the enclosure. Cork bark is pretty much essential for them, as it gives them something to anchor webbing to.
Thanks for your reply, Chubb's. I was thinking *some* arboreal slings might burrow too - thought I'd read something like that somewhere.

How critical is the cork bark to a terrestrial sling like our new curly hair?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for your reply, Chubb's. I was thinking *some* arboreal slings might burrow too - thought I'd read something like that somewhere.

How critical is the cork bark to a terrestrial sling like our new curly hair?
Not Avics. They are true arboreals.

Terrestrials still need something to hide under.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Terrestrials still need something to hide under.

In addition to their burrow ?

I ask because I omitted the cork bark from the enclosure I assembled for our curly hair sling. The pieces were so big. Guess I could cut one down...

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well Brachys don't always burrow, so it's a good idea to give them something to hide under anyway.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well Brachys don't always burrow, so it's a good idea to give them something to hide under anyway.
Ours went right into business and built a burrow the first night. I put a little fake plantlet in there and it "hides" under the leaves on occasion, but in all honesty it roams all over the enclosure: substrate, walls, ceiling... I cleaned poop off the wall near the cieling this morning.

Ours seems quite brazen and only runs for the burrow if we move too quickly or touch the enclosure itself.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all, had a few more moults again last few days so thought i would share more pics
Aphonopelma sp. "Malinche"

Nhandu chromatus

its the first Avicularia sp. "Guyana" to moult since i got them :D:D:D

Brachypelma albopilosum,

also in the prosses of up gradeing the first 4 Avicularia versicolor i got, done 2 so far & will do the other 2 on monday.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@sym
dont no how i left that one of the list !!! :confused:

update !!!
while i was looking for a new T the other day i came across some baby Heterometrus spinifer (Giant Asian Forest Scorpion)
for a decent price so i ended up getting 9 of them !!! five of them are going into a communal set up for a family member (b,day present) & the other 4 are for me !!! i will be growing them on for a few months while they sort the big tank out.
a few pics of the first tub i will use for them.

i will post picks when they arrive :)

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all, got some new little friends today all arived well :D there avicularia sp, "kwitara" (giant green pink toe) 1cm / 2cm.
i also for got to add a pic of the scorp on the last post LoL

aslo had 4 x moults recently 1 x B, boehmei 1 x A versicolor 1 x N chromatus 1 x E murinus.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@Therasoid
it is quite large ;), while i was at work i got a txt of my son saying !!! your new T looks like its loosing from its mouth/fangs, but buy the time i have got in there is nothing there to see ???

P.S he said the fluid was mostly clear but it looked like some red/brown bits in it !!!

Latest posts