• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most aggresive and most docile T in your collection?

Wg25

3 Year Member
Was talking to a friend earlier about how tarantulas have their own individual personalities. We both have G.rosea's. Both from the same eggsac....but the one he has is quite skittish and semi aggressive and mine is a sweetheart. So I was wondering.... Which tarantulas do you consider the most aggressive in your collection...and which one the most docile? My A.geniculata is beautiful , but definitely the most aggressive and my G.pulchripes and G.rosea are very chilled. :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For most docile, I would definitely go with my female Euathlus sp. red. Every time I open the enclosure to feed her or to perform maintenance, this little girl calmly tries to calmly craw out to explore. I generally don't hold my tarantulas, but I've found myself handling her a couple times as I scooped her up to get her back into her cage.

As for the more defensive (I don't have any I would call "aggressive"), I think I really luck out in that the majority of my Ts, even my Old Worlds, are quite chill. I do have one Phormictopus sp. purple young adult that has shown a bit of attitude, but I think that it can probably be chalked up to a great feeding response. A couple times now, he has tried to charge out of the enclosure and at me.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't have an aggressive T, not even my OBT whose more likely to run and hide than stand and threaten.

The most placid are my I. hirsutum and O. diamantinensis followed by the 3 B. albos

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I would of said my big female LP is docile but after last night I now beg to differ. I was filling her water bowl and she gave me a T pose and struck out at me... Not like her at all. My H.Pulchripes is chilled out (soon to be Enn49's)...
I don't bother my T's really so I couldn't really tell you.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Oddly enough, the only T I've ever been bitten by was a G. rosea.

Attachments

• 003 (9).JPG
    003 (9).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 26

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Like Enn wrote, I don't really have really aggressive spiders neither, at least none that I think would just "go for me", unless I really bothered them.
I've had a threat pose from my T. Gigas (from the safety of her web lol) and got flicked at by my GBB (grown on sling, so no effect). The B. Boehmei juve threatened his water dish when I refilled it once, which was funny. My A. Versi bit into the paint brush when I rehoused her for the first time, but she's just very food orientated (if you accidentally breathe through her tank's vent hole she jumps at it).
I consider my A. Geniculata as quite docile (unless you're food lol), as well as my G. Rosea. My Rosea has thrown a pose towards my husband once, because he moved her tub to clean behind it (it was really half-@rsed as well - the threat, not the cleaning, lol). My G. Actaeon seems quite laid back, too. Just casually strolls away when I open its tub and then comes back a minute later.
I don't really ponder on their docility anyway, because I don't handle or intrude much into their area (the odd spot clean, water change and rehouse for the slings/juves).

Meludox

3 Year Member
The most aggressive thing that I've experienced was a couple bites at my tongs from my GBB when I had to rehouse her, but I believe that was because she mistook them for food. I purposely buy docile New Worlds so I don't really have any super defensive tarantulas. My New River haired me once. That was annoying.

Wg25

3 Year Member
My Ornithoctonus aureotibialis is the one who made me sweat a lot during last rehousing... Very defensive!!! Maybe, some others are as badass, but I can't tell as I didn't have to interact with them!

One of my most docile is my old Brachypelma smithi, a real cream of a tarantula!
Mine loves to flick hairs every no and then. But also a very awesome Tarantula! :)

timc

3 Year Member
My most relaxed spider would have to be my A. avic. Any time I open her enclosure for any maintainance or to give her water she just sits still and waits for me to close everything back up so she can continue pooping all over the walls:rolleyes: Now as far as most aggressive or defensive, well that's easy, the classic OBT. That little SOB(T) doesn't even like to be looked at. her sobriquet is the Irish Princess because she's a feisty ginger who loves a good fight! She's gone into a threat posture when I've picked up her neighbor's enclosure. But that's why I got her and that's why I love her!

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
My most relaxed spider would have to be my A. avic. Any time I open her enclosure for any maintainance or to give her water she just sits still and waits for me to close everything back up so she can continue pooping all over the walls:rolleyes: Now as far as most aggressive or defensive, well that's easy, the classic OBT. That little SOB(T) doesn't even like to be looked at. her sobriquet is the Irish Princess because she's a feisty ginger who loves a good fight! She's gone into a threat posture when I've picked up her neighbor's enclosure. But that's why I got her and that's why I love her!

Lol that is too funny! I was hoping to find an A. avic to add to my collection, don't seem to be any around atm, checked Ken and Jamie, won't bother with Backwater Reptiles or LLL even. I had, at one time, considered the OBT, and would still like to try one someday, but, to have something that moves THAT fast wanting to kill me for no reason tends to make me grow feathers and cluck, so, I grabbed a B. smithi instead :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
S.calceatum, I have two, and while one is worse than the other, both will put even an OBT to shame. I do not take the lid off for more than a few seconds, I never turn my back to them, or take my eyes off of them. I always make sure I know where the spider is before doing anything in the enclosure, including simply removing the lid. My current OBT is very mean and will lunge towards the lid so I am very quick to put it back on after dropping the cricket in. Much like S.calceatum I consider that species as a whole to be pretty unpredictable, and I don't let my guard down around them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My only actively aggressive spider is my G pulchripes. He's almost gotten me a few times, I've never seen a spider behave like him. I have several docile spiders, the most docile being probably the big male Lp I got on a breeding loan. I've held him several times. In fact most of the more tolerant spiders I've run into were mature males, who seem to have other business on their mind and can't be bothered to get defensive with me. This guy crawled out of the packaging and right onto my hand when he arrived. Something I wouldn't recommend, as they can get stressed in the mail and a little bitey. He's never shown an ounce of aggression or even skittishness.

Latest posts