• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

More of a fun question.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What is your favorite T and why? What is your least favorite and again, why?
There's no right or wrong answers here, this is simply your own personal preferences ^^

I'll start, as most of you probably know by now, I only have 3 slings, and I seriously love them all.

My favorite is the new one, Amala, T ockerti, I love every thing about her, from the moment I unwrapped the towel she was snugged into and she waved those black tipped legs around I was completely smitten. Shes extremely calm and moves like shes floating, I realize this will probably change as she grows up, all my research says she'll be skittish and kick a lot of hairs, but right now shes just perfection, eating, checking out her enclosure and me whenever she gets the chance.

My least favorite T at the moment is based strictly on looks, and house keeping, My Zombie B albopilosum has to be one of the ugliest babies ever, and she will NOT take her trash out of her burrow, she hoards it in there. I adore watching her rearrange and stuff herself with everything you offer her, but damn thats one ugly/messy T.

Last edited:

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
I've not been keeping tarantulas long but u must say I love the look of the obt and will definitely get one when I feel a bit more confident.
I don't have a least favorite I lie them all.

My curly hair doesn't burrow and never has.granted he has just moulted into a mature male not sure if that's the reason.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've not been keeping tarantulas long but u must say I love the look of the obt and will definitely get one when I feel a bit more confident.
I don't have a least favorite I lie them all.

My curly hair doesn't burrow and never has.granted he has just moulted into a mature male not sure if that's the reason.
That'd definitely be why. Mature males don't normally have hides, as in the wild they're almost always out in the open searching for a mate.

My favorite genera are Avicularia and Poecilotheria. However if I had to choose a favorite individual species it would be Brachypelma smithi because they are so iconic.

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
That'd definitely be why. Mature males don't normally have hides, as in the wild they're almost always out in the open searching for a mate.

My favorite genera are Avicularia and Poecilotheria. However if I had to choose a favorite individual species it would be Brachypelma smithi because they are so iconic.
Even before his moult he didn't burrow or hide he does like sitting on the side of the enclosure. I have noticed in this last week he walks round his enclosure more. I am very tempted to get a female for him. it might have to wait till after Xmas now though I've got 2 of my son's birthday's this month and Xmas next

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Even before his moult he didn't burrow or hide he does like sitting on the side of the enclosure. I have noticed in this last week he walks round his enclosure more. I am very tempted to get a female for him. it might have to wait till after Xmas now though I've got 2 of my son's birthday's this month and Xmas next
Or possibly post around the different forums that you have a male available to breed? Can't possibly ever have to many of that species they are wonderful ^^

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Couldn't possibly pick. If I was held at gun point at the moment I'd probably pick my B. Boehmei, because he's got a lot of character and always seems to be busy doing something (plus, he's beautiful). But then there's also my A. Versi, A. Geniculata, G. Rosea, LP, GBB, A. Sp Amazonica, G. Actaeon..... don't like my T. Gigas at the moment: He/she molted about 2 weeks ago and I haven't seen any more than a couple of legs yet. I know she comes out when I'm not around at night, because there's poop down the side of her tub :mad:... only kidding, I love her, too.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Favorite spider is currently my P antinous. That changes periodically though, I love all of them.
My least favorite is my marshalli or my lividum, both hide too much. I still love them, and just changed their houses, but yeah, obligate burrowers and hiders like my regalis are the ones that I like least.

kaz

3 Year Member
I don't really have a least favourite per sae, but it would be my G.pulchra just for the fact that shes awkward to feed. She sits on her food and they almost always get away unlike my B.smithi who has already had like 3 food items meanwhile my pulchra is still deciding. I think my fav is my rosea just for the fact she was my first, is all ways up and about and never refuses what shes offered. I like them all really for their individual looks and quirks but there's the little things!!

Fleas

3 Year Member
Hard questions hmm, my favorite at the moment is my biggest E sp Red. My big female is so beautiful, always in view exploring every bit in her enclosure and moving that subtract around makes me blush up and say awww look how cute. Shes amazing might be gavid damit just jinx it:rolleyes:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hard questions hmm, my favorite at the moment is my biggest E sp Red. My big female is so beautiful, always in view exploring every bit in her enclosure and moving that subtract around makes me blush up and say awww look how cute. Shes amazing might be gavid damit just jinx it:rolleyes:
Fleas if you get slings of that species, I'll buy a few :) If your selling

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tell him hes going to camp to play with other tarantulas maybe,
Ok remembering I'm a complete noob, so no rolling around laughing at my ignorance ok:rolleyes:
is that Euathlus sp. "red"?

Jakob

3 Year Member
Acanthoscurria geneculata is definitely on my wishlist... and P. metallica, and G. pulchripes... and... oh I just want them all.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Acanthoscurria geneculata is definitely on my wishlist... and P. metallica, and G. pulchripes... and... oh I just want them all.
I have the same problem, they fascinate me and I find them beautiful, every time I start reading about another I wonder when I'll be able to get one ^^
Have a lot of learning left to do before I venture into some of them, but I'll get there :)

micheldied

3 Year Member
I don't think I can narrow it down to species.

My favorite genus is Poecilotheria, and I can't choose between P. metallica, P. subfusca, or P. ornata as my favorite of the genus. I also really like all the Theraphosa.

I don't care much for the majority of the NW terrestrials, barring Theraphosa, Pamphobeteus, Xenesthis, and Lasiodora.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't really have a least favourite per sae, but it would be my G.pulchra just for the fact that shes awkward to feed. She sits on her food and they almost always get away unlike my B.smithi who has already had like 3 food items meanwhile my pulchra is still deciding. I think my fav is my rosea just for the fact she was my first, is all ways up and about and never refuses what shes offered. I like them all really for their individual looks and quirks but there's the little things!!
It's weird, my pulchra has never done that. Then I read your post, started feeding my tarantulas...and my pulchra starts playing with her food. lol..it was funny though, she let it burrow twice, dug it up twice, then finally ate it..good stuff, very entertaining.:)

Latest posts