• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molting questions

TokeHound

I have a Caribena versicolor who I'm positive is in the middle of molting as I type this. How long does it take for a Tarantula to successfully molt? And if a molt is taking too long, how soon should I step in to help so the sling doesn't die?

Also, I panicked and did something stupid. I was checking on all my T's and when I came across my C. versicolor, I thought it was in death curl so I started tapping on the lid to get it to move, and it would not move. I took a closer look without opening the lid and I realized the T was upside down, so I thought crap, I think it's molting. Did my tapping possibly disturb it's molt or is it going to be okay? I'm a first time Tarantula Keeper, I have 7 Tarantulas and some have molted, but this is the first time I have caught a sling in the middle of a molt.

I apologize the pictures are not clear but I did not want to open the lid and disturb it. Please help. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20211014_193638_01.jpg
    IMG_20211014_193638_01.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211014_193638_02.jpg
    IMG_20211014_193638_02.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 15

Tarantulafeets

I would wait it put and leave it alone, it's the best thing you can do as of now... and I wouldn't carry around the enclosure as well ;) As for how long until they finish molting, it can vary depending on the t, mine usually take 20 - 40 minutes for smaller slings. Also, your enclosure might need some improvement, C versi can easily die if not supplied with ample cross ventilation as the enclosure can get very stuffy and humid.

TokeHound

I would wait it put and leave it alone, it's the best thing you can do as of now... and I wouldn't carry around the enclosure as well ;) As for how long until they finish molting, it can vary depending on the t, mine usually take 20 - 40 minutes for smaller slings. Also, your enclosure might need some improvement, C versi can easily die if not supplied with ample cross ventilation as the enclosure can get very stuffy and humid.
I don't carry the enclosure around and it has ventilation holes in the top of the lid. My friend got this sling in its current enclosure from FNT and we have not changed anything with it.

TokeHound

@TokeHound How is the T today? Did it get out of the molt?
No, it did not make it... Some kind of white worms were eating it. I don't know if they were fruit fly larvae or Mealworm babies.... They just popped up out of no where but I noticed they were in another enclosure and coming out of a dead mealworm. I don't understand what this infestation is?? Help?

Attachments

• PXL_20211018_191238736.jpg
    PXL_20211018_191238736.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12

x_raphael_xx

No, it did not make it... Some kind of white worms were eating it. I don't know if they were fruit fly larvae or Mealworm babies.... They just popped up out of no where but I noticed they were in another enclosure and coming out of a dead mealworm. I don't understand what this infestation is?? Help?
I'm sorry to hear that :(

I assume if the T died they may be fly larvae eating the carcass??

timc

3 Year Member
I really can’t tell from the picture but it really could be neither. It’s definitely not mealworm babies, unless you had a couple of beetles running around in there, and I’d be really surprised if it were fruit fly larvae, they look awful big for that. Are your enclosures kept on the wetter side? That’s where I would think the worms would come from as too much moisture is just a magnet for many things. Either way, sorry for your loss, it’s never easy when one of your babies passes. I actually lost my first versi sling years ago when I first tried the species. It’s really gutting but don’t give up. This is a hobby of learning.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Definitely not mealworm babies...that would be the same stage. ;)

Can't see the worms in the photo well but here's fruit fly chart to compare to.

You can wait and see what they develop into.
The-whole-life-cycle-of-the-fruit-fly-Drosophila-is-relatively-rapid-and-takes-only.png

TokeHound

So, my versi sling was given to me by a friend. She actually gave me 4 Tarantulas, and all but one was very wet. The B. boehmei was sooo wet and had those worms in there that I had to rehouse it completely. Is there any way to "treat" for these worms without killing my Tarantulas? At this point, I'm just looking at my enclosures every day and if I find them, I take them out and kill them with my pointed tweezers.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So, my versi sling was given to me by a friend. She actually gave me 4 Tarantulas, and all but one was very wet. The B. boehmei was sooo wet and had those worms in there that I had to rehouse it completely. Is there any way to "treat" for these worms without killing my Tarantulas? At this point, I'm just looking at my enclosures every day and if I find them, I take them out and kill them with my pointed tweezers.
Rehouse in very dry substate.

Latest posts