• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molted-still on back

SpunkySpider

I have an elderly Grammostola pulchra (19!). She molted yesterday while I was at work, and has been lying on her back ever since.

She’s moving her legs, but I’m worried something is wrong- she’s always turned over after a molt.

I appreciate any advice!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmm not sure, weird for that to last an entire day. She could still be resting as molting is strenuous. Picture may help us be of better assistance.

SpunkySpider

View attachment 39566

She has scootched forward about two inches since I took the picture, but is otherwise the same.

Attachments

• E4D49C09-9811-4F67-BBAF-C754077EB729.jpeg
    E4D49C09-9811-4F67-BBAF-C754077EB729.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 127

nedaK

Have you tried giving her a drink by dripping a few water droplets onto her mouthparts, in case shes a bit dehydrated after moulting, and unable to get up herself?
@PanzoN88 @Kaden Alexander is what I'm recommending ok? Because normal advice is not to mess with a freshly moulted T.
It should be ok. Though I’d wait a bit to see if she will get up on her own first, but if she doesn’t then giving it water is ok.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I'd carry on giving 1-2 drops, watching to see if she's sucking them in. If so, then I'd repeat, until she stops drinking. Then I'd try again in a couple hours (or morning if it's bedtime where you are).

SpunkySpider

I gave her water last night and this morning. She appeared to be sucking it in? You can see she has moved from the original photo, but is still on her back. Molt happened Wednesday.

Attachments

• 977682B2-F28E-482B-9EDB-E3DE843314C8.jpeg
    977682B2-F28E-482B-9EDB-E3DE843314C8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 68

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know I'm probably going to get slated for saying this but-if it were mine I would have flipped it back by now-its trying to move along which suggests to me its tried and failed to flip and with the spider being so old I would worry that it will wear itself out-
at least if its turned up the right way gently it has more chance to recuperate and drink properly-
not saying I'm right but if it were me that's what I would do

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know I'm probably going to get slated for saying this but-if it were mine I would have flipped it back by now-its trying to move along which suggests to me its tried and failed to flip and with the spider being so old I would worry that it will wear itself out-
at least if its turned up the right way gently it has more chance to recuperate and drink properly-
not saying I'm right but if it were me that's what I would do

I think I would agree with you on that. I feel it is using unnecessary energy when it could be helped to right itself.