• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molt question

Will25

3 Year Member
Hey guys.. So I've had my B.smithi for about a year now...and in the beginning he was molting frequently but now it feels like I have waited forever! I know red knees are slow growers...but damn i didn't think it would be this slow! He is about 5 cm long.... ill post a pic so you can get an idea off his size and everything! So how long does it usually take for T's this size to molt? He's last molt was March!
Thanks !

Will25

3 Year Member
IMG-20150926-WA0001.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He looks quite "pre-moulty" to me, or at least I wouldn't feed him until he moults again ;). I think at that size they do start to slow down in their growth rate. They are a long lived genus after all.
I was surprised at how fast my B. Boehmei had grown (from just under 2cm LS to now about 5cm LS in just over a year), but I think he's starting to slow down, too, now.

Will25

3 Year Member
He ate nothing for 3 weeks and then I gave him a cricket about 10 days ago and he ate it. But I will wait for him to molt now before I feed him again!☺Thanks for the advice Fuzzball! And I just bought a B. Boehmei sling 3 days ago!!! If you have a photo of yours please post it! Would love to see!!! Thanks a lot!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course. Here he is, my little vandal. When I first got him at just under 2cms he dug a hole and spent most of his time in there.
Since he's started to show more of his adult colours he's been out and about all the time. As I wrote in a different thread, he is one of my most interesting Ts. Always doing something, never hides feisty little character:
UgcNvgV.jpg

Will25

3 Year Member
Wow gorgeous T! Hope mine will be that size in about a year! And its good to know! Hope mine will also be an interesting little T...and grow a bit faster than my B.smithi! Thanks for the photo Fuzzball79 ! Appreciate it☺

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are very slow growers. This is why I've never bought a Brachy as a sling.

Latest posts