• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

molt problem !!!

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all, well my juvi b,smithi moulted yesterday & at first it seemd to go well, but when i checkd it to day its legs seem to be a bit deformed. :(
how does this happen ???
have i done something wrong ???
what happens to the T now ???

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I actually just recently had my first T get stuck in a molt. A juvenile Psalmopoeus reduncus; it got L I stuck at the metatarsus and cast it off, removing it at the coxae before I even noticed it was stuck. It threw me off when I went to open up the molt and noticed and there was a leg hanging out of it.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I asked near enough the same question a couple of days ago, lol. My Genic was curled up for ages after her (complete) molt and even now keeps her legs in a different way than before, but Martin O. on here "came to the rescue" and assured me that this was normal. I made the mistake of googling the curling up after molt :eek:...
She's moving around fine now, but occasionally still curls and stretches and sometimes sits like a tree spider (if that makes sense). I assume she also looks different to me, because her legs are longer now while the body due to premolt "bloating" looks the same/smaller than before.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I asked near enough the same question a couple of days ago, lol. My Genic was curled up for ages after her (complete) molt and even now keeps her legs in a different way than before, but Martin O. on here "came to the rescue" and assured me that this was normal. I made the mistake of googling the curling up after molt :eek:...
She's moving around fine now, but occasionally still curls and stretches and sometimes sits like a tree spider (if that makes sense). I assume she also looks different to me, because her legs are longer now while the body due to premolt "bloating" looks the same/smaller than before.

Hello again
As for looking smaller,the specimen has the same amount of inner fluid volume but the container is bigger so to say. Think of it this way,you had one litre of water and upgraded the container to say a 1.5 litre or 2 litre thus displacement area is larger even though the fluid hasn't changed. As soon as it eats,it starts filling up the displacement area to its fullest capacity and bang you have a next molt on its way. As for the athletic stretching,we will use the same example as above. Imagine having upgraded to a larger container,but the container was within the smaller one that means it was compacted even though larger thus breaking out the T needs to stretch the new container to gain fullest capacity from it before it hardens.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With humans we have an inner skeletal system,thus our muscles etc grow according to our skeletal growth and in humans the ratio is sometimes very inconsistent since some may have huge bone density low muscle mass or low density low muscle mass etc. With T's it's the opposite,their skeletal system is an exo one thus it grows as the T's inners grow. Well that's how I can compare in the easiest way,not scientific but simple haha.

Latest posts