• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molt and Pre-molt questions

danny1200

Hello!
I have a couple questions about my Arizona Blonde T that I was hoping could be answered here. 3 days ago my T closed off it's burrow front and back and tunneled deep into it's substrate. It hasn't eaten in about a week and I believe that it is in pre-molt. How long should I expect him to stay in his burrow? Is it OK if he goes without food during this process? Should I lift his log to check or just let nature run it's course?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 8

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Depends on how big it is? If it's a sling it may be burrowed for a couple weeks. If its juvenile or adult it could be a couple of months. Tarantulas are built to go long periods without food, I'm talking several months. No worries as long as it has water. It will drink sometimes while burrowed/premolt. While your sleeping it will sneak out and get a drink if it needs it. It won't even look like it opened its burrow.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't worry about the tarantula, it knows what it's doing LOL

However, while you're waiting for it, why don't you post a hello in the introductions section?

Welcome to the family/forum!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I bought a 3"+ G. pulchripes 45 days ago and it was in premolt, something confirmed by it's lack of interest in food and more telling, it molted today. It had made a silk bed outside of it's hideaway although this morning the molt was inside of it's hide.

So tarantulas do things on their own schedule. What we can do make sure that living conditions are suitable. And that includes, as mentioned, make sure water is available.

Oh, and after it molts, don't feed it right away. You may want to as it's abdomen is much thinner, but the T's new fangs need to harden. It's been said to wait until the fangs blacken, but that can be hard to determine with a reclusive Ts like mine. I usually wait 8-10 days. Others with more experience can weigh in.

So welcome aboard to a very informative and caring forum and to a highly addictive hobby.

Latest posts