• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mold on my T?

TarantulaGirl549

3 Year Member
Hey guys, desperately seeking advice on this one.

I bought my second G Rosea last week, I noticed she did this cute little thing with her front left leg (lifting it up and over to one side). Anyway, I got her out today for a wander whilst I took out the food she hadn't eaten and I noticed on that same leg there was some white stuff underneath the joint (in the crease), slightly fuzzy looking, like white mold you get on bread before it goes green. It looks very peculiar however she isn't fazed by it at all and is walking on her leg.
Quite concerned because I've heard mold and fungus problems can be fatal. Any ideas?? What can I do? WP_20140712_004.jpg WP_20140712_005.jpg

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Fungus thrives in wet conditions. Is your substrate dry or wet? For a Rose you want the cage completely dry, except in pre-molt where you might dampen the sub around the water dish.

TarantulaGirl549

3 Year Member
Her substrate is damp however I was thinking getting rid of it and replacing it with dryer substrate. She's not eating but grammy's are fussy however I do hope it is she's in pre-molt. What about the stuff on her leg? Is this anything to worry about or is there anything I can do?

jujubees

3 Year Member
Fungus can be a problem. Is there any mold growing in the enclosure. If not, then I don't see why the mold would grow on the T first unless its some kind of diff fungus I havent encountered yet. Also, how long has the white spot been there?

CrystalRose

3 Year Member
I would put in completely dry substrate. G rosea really don't like any dampness at all. All she needs for moisture and humidity is a water dish. I'm not sure what the white stuff is but I would definitely change her substrate.

TarantulaGirl549

3 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up guys. I noticed a little something on her leg when I got her but naturally didn't think anything of it because she was wandering around and acting normally. When I got her out yesterday is when I noticed the joint was white where as before it looked like a greyish white rocky colour.
Could she of had a break or fall before I bought her and this is the aftermath? :/

Latest posts