• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moderator Nominations

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The whole subject was originally started by this thread http://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/mods.7121/. Concern raised by members not admin because of the amount of spam appearing and that led to worries about the forum folding due to the bills not getting paid, Josh has set our minds at rest on that score. I feel if we continue as before there would be no need for the mods to intervene to any extent.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The whole subject was originally started by this thread http://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/mods.7121/. Concern raised by members not admin because of the amount of spam appearing and that led to worries about the forum folding due to the bills not getting paid, Josh has set our minds at rest on that score. I feel if we continue as before there would be no need for the mods to intervene to any extent.
Well I agree with you both, unfortunately there are some who don't.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think for the most part we manage to bumble along just fine,
there are small disagreements, but they get resolved without any major issues,
I like this forum because of how laid back it is. We don't always get things right,
but amazingly enough we manage to act like adults and listen and rectify things when we need to.
but that SPAM! Goddess knows it drives me insane!

Thistles

3 Year Member
You misunderstand me. I know the differences very well. Because its "legal" to make up little rules on a forum doesn't make it ok. Just because somethings legal, or accepted as normal, doesn't make it right. I worked in law enforcement for ten years, I'm very much aware of when my rights apply, Thistles. The Constitution doesn't apply to everything, but the ideals in it do. When you start picking away at where you want to apply it and where you don't you've already lost. I didn't give up any rights when I joined this forum..not sure where you got that idea, but no kind of contract for services somehow supersedes my rights.
Of course something being legal doesn't always make it okay. It's legal to scream insults at someone, to cheat on your spouse and to squish tarantulas. None of those things is okay. I am saying though, that you agreed to follow a code of conduct when you joined this forum and your continued use of the forum is contingent upon you following those rules. That's a voluntary agreement to limit your speech in exchange for the privilege of posting here. A contract absolutely can supersede your rights in practice. Whether or not it SHOULD is a different discussion, and I don't think a tarantula forum is the best setting for changing the world. I am now a little curious about how you react to people who assert their rights when stopped by an officer.

This is getting a little off base though, what I want to know is this: Why do ya'll feel the need to be policed? Are you afraid of something? Has there been some bullying I missed? The only thing wrong here is some recent spam. So what if some troll starts trolling, or 2 people get in an argument? So what?? Never mind, the admin has already decided we need mods, I'm wasting my time. I just don't get it..One of the reasons I always liked this forum was that it was mostly always relaxed, people just come to chill and share their experiences and chat. There are no alarmist moderators deleting and censoring threads, altering posts, that kind of stupid, petty crap that certain "types" of people are so fond of, simply because they don't agree with something contained in them( I thought long and hard on that sentence so I didn't use insults and curse words).. I like how the majority of the people calling for mods are regulars at other forums..that is very telling indeed :).. thanks for your input, folks. We need more forums exactly like yours...
You're the bully. That might be why you missed it. There were mods before you joined who have more recently been absent. This temporary freedom from oversight is not the norm on this forum. The cat is away, so you've been playing. Do I care about swearing? Do I mind insults? Personally, no. I think I handled a previous onslaught from you just fine. However, YOU agreed to the rules. If the admin wants to change the rules, that's fine with me. As it is now, the rules seem to indicate that this would be an appropriate forum for anyone, so people have been directing children to reference this forum rather than some others due to the friendly and forgiving atmosphere. If things change, I might not recommend my young cousin use this forum, for example. Sure, she might get made fun of or scolded for poor husbandry on another forum, but at least she won't get cussed out. I'll keep looking for an appropriate forum for a 13 year old.

I hope I'm not the one being referenced in the "regular at other forums" as I haven't had time to post on any forums for the last 2 months.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think we should just agree to disagree on this subject guys. Complaining about it isn't going to change the inevitable. Everyone has a right to feel however they want on the subject, and we just need to accept the fact that we may not always see eye to eye on certain subjects, such as this one. Doesn't mean we can't still have pleasant conversations about other things.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course something being legal doesn't always make it okay. It's legal to scream insults at someone, to cheat on your spouse and to squish tarantulas. None of those things is okay. I am saying though, that you agreed to follow a code of conduct when you joined this forum and your continued use of the forum is contingent upon you following those rules. That's a voluntary agreement to limit your speech in exchange for the privilege of posting here. A contract absolutely can supersede your rights in practice. Whether or not it SHOULD is a different discussion, and I don't think a tarantula forum is the best setting for changing the world. I am now a little curious about how you react to people who assert their rights when stopped by an officer.

You're the bully. That might be why you missed it. There were mods before you joined who have more recently been absent. This temporary freedom from oversight is not the norm on this forum. The cat is away, so you've been playing. Do I care about swearing? Do I mind insults? Personally, no. I think I handled a previous onslaught from you just fine. However, YOU agreed to the rules. If the admin wants to change the rules, that's fine with me. As it is now, the rules seem to indicate that this would be an appropriate forum for anyone, so people have been directing children to reference this forum rather than some others due to the friendly and forgiving atmosphere. If things change, I might not recommend my young cousin use this forum, for example. Sure, she might get made fun of or scolded for poor husbandry on another forum, but at least she won't get cussed out. I'll keep looking for an appropriate forum for a 13 year old.

I hope I'm not the one being referenced in the "regular at other forums" as I haven't had time to post on any forums for the last 2 months.
I'm the bully? My over reaction to your earlier arrogant post was response to you acting like a douche, lets not lose sight of that. Just like now, you don't agree with me arguing about moderators, so I'm a bully...and you just implied I somehow violate peoples rights? Are you serious? You argue for the sake of it Thistles. If my descriptions somehow made you feel I was talking about you,perhaps its time for some inner reflection. And like I said when I apologized to you for not expressing myself better, it wont happen again, regardless of you making accusations. You never address any valid points anyway, when you argue with me. Bully...that's hilarious...thanks for trying to degenerate this into name-calling again. Save that stuff for ab please.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I'm the bully? My over reaction to your earlier arrogant post was response to you acting like a douche, lets not lose sight of that. Just like now, you don't agree with me arguing about moderators, so I'm a bully...and you just implied I somehow violate peoples rights? Are you serious? You argue for the sake of it Thistles. If my descriptions somehow made you feel I was talking about you,perhaps its time for some inner reflection. And like I said when I apologized to you for not expressing myself better, it wont happen again, regardless of you making accusations. You never address any valid points anyway, when you argue with me. Bully...that's hilarious...thanks for trying to degenerate this into name-calling again. Save that stuff for ab please.
Telling people to keep both sides in mind isn't douchey, imo. Of course, your opinion differs. That's fine.

You tried to chase Chubbs (and me) off the boards. To me, that's being a bully.

As for me thinking you were talking about me being a regular on AB, what "inner reflection" is required? I post there; I post here; as a user here I'm entitled to my opinion. The admin is also entitled to reject my opinion if he so chooses. You replied to my post. Who am I supposed to think you meant?

How did I imply you violate rights? Are you talking about my curiosity about your conduct when you were a LEO? Maybe you should engage in some "inner reflection" yourself.

I argue when there's something to argue about. You were trying to make moderating a forum some sort of Constitutional issue. That's a false equivalence, so I pointed it out. I'm sorry you don't think it's valid to point out that the two are completely different.

All this thread is asking is for members to nominate mods. He then goes on to say what the job entails (enforcing community guidelines and diffusing member quarrels) and you turn the thread into why you WON'T do what the job requires as far as enforcing the code of conduct to which we all agreed. You seem to be the member requiring the most diffusing, anyway. If you have a suggestion to put to the admin regarding the code of conduct as it stands, go for it. Just don't turn a thread about a different issue (who should be a mod) into some sort of internet free speech campaign. Please recall that the internet is international and the US Constitution, while an admirable document, does not apply here.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do me a favor and don't try to tell me what to talk about, kid..maybe you should be a moderator..and I'm done arguing, I've made my point.
To all the regulars here, enjoy watching the loose friendly spider forum turn into AB Light. The tight asses have spoken. Oops I said ass, MODERATOR!!! HEEEELP!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Only reason i asked for a mod in the first place was to remove the growing globs of spam (if it was the jalapeno or teriyaki kind i wouldn't care) infesting our boards. I don't think we need forum police to monitor what we say and lock down threads etc. We've all done a decent job of that ourselves to keep our boards clean, relaxed, and friendly. I don't see this turning to AB's little brother with the mod suggestions that were sent in.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Just loGged on tonight for the first time in a long while, and see they have opened up the books, so many amazing people on this forum I cannot pick just one. So I wish GREAT amounts of luck to all the nominees!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh gosh! Has AB gotten that bad??? Lol....I'm like way off subject here. Anyway, I feel like all rules should be followed in a forum. It's why the rules were put there in the first place. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. It's just my input on the whole thing. As long as rules are followed accordingly, we shouldn't need mods but when you have people that are like "rules were meant to be broken", then that's when the mods need to step in. Otherwise, no one should've wasted their time posting rules in the first place......that's just my opinion. :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok so I nominate myself as the referee. I couldn't be a mod, lmao. At least being referee only requires you to break it up. You don't need an opinion and you sure as hell don't have to choose sides, lol. I'm neutral. Gray is my favorite color in this thread as I am seeing black and white. (and referees don't need mods)....

Latest posts