• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Missing Avic!

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
While cleaning my desk today I noticed my pink toe was not in her usual spot. Upon further inspection she isn’t in her tank at all! I have no idea how or when she got out and I would really like to get her back. Please help.

Arachnoscholar

Lol I absolutely love these forums! Always has an uncanny knack for conversation pertaining to events fresh on my mind pertaining the hobby popping up coincidentally. To add to the aspect of the sharing of "accurate" information, opinions, and experience I'll add my 2 cents lol. Your going to have to consider if anyone has possible motive to pull a cowardly stunt by intentionally letting it out, and if so that greatly changes finding it because it could have been taken, or let out somewhere random. If it was a chance escape you can narrow it down to areas around the enclosure. Saying "pink toe" leaves a few options, but I'm going to assume you mean an Avucularia. While not impossible, I would very much be inclined to put money on it is not Hiding in the substrate. They not only don't burrow, they are the species beyond all others I've seen NEVER go on the ground. Getting a drink perched with 2 legs touching the ground, or snagging up a meal/super work heading into the substrate briefly is about as close as I've seen that's mostly shared by others honestly sharing their observations on the species. That being said your going to want to look upwards in corners, crevices that offer a hide from the light, going to be warm (especially near anything that generates humidity) and without any cross breezes! Lol a hair dryer may be a bit excessive, but if impatiently driven to do that with that appliance I think that would make a great video to upload lol. I've had a fiasco recently with a H-mac rehouse redefining "bolting", but with the Avucularia's with what I've seen they are usually not very bolty, but if they do it's always in short bursts in a strait line almost always stopping at a change of direction, and/or obstacles wich may come in handy keeping that in mind with acquiring it if you are able to locate it. Good luck, and I hope you catch your tarantula because I was lucky enough to find/catch mine after it was set loose!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Examine your decor.

Is she in the middle of cork bark for example?

If she IS on the ground, she's dehydrated. Place her into a shallow container slightly tilted with water so that her fangs are in the water but her abdomen isn't.

shaun

3 Year Member
While cleaning my desk today I noticed my pink toe was not in her usual spot. Upon further inspection she isn’t in her tank at all! I have no idea how or when she got out and I would really like to get her back. Please help.
I had a pink toe that"disappeared" I eventually found her in the dirt, she had curled up her toes ( no pun intended).
I hope you find it. I remember reading, on this site, that they can jump out of their tank, unobserved, when you carry out husbandry.

Arachnoscholar

Lol that's a strange coincidence! I didn't see if it was a sling or otherwise with her post, and she didnt say she was doing husbandry. While possible with slings, very unlikely a larger avucularia could blend in with a piece of bark I would think. But The tarantula I was referring to getting out does have a spot in the bark in the back that small slings can get into, and does utilize that now just like my P-regalis sling did when I initially used that enclosure for that tarantula when it was smaller. Doesn't change what happened, or how lucky I was after though. Again I hope the Avic is found. I've never seen/heard of it before, but if these others are being honest about the Avucularia's in the dirt it wouldn't hurt to check there either to have all possible variables covered!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How are we going to help...really?
Maybe it crawled in your mouth?
PMSL ....oh you bastard ...I'm in mourning Clown, I cant be laughing!
O.P- look up high. Ceilings, corners, under desk tops in corners, bathroom ,kitchen. In the wild, around human towns, they act like huge house spiders. Look up, or under raised cover like tables and chairs, your bed, and the above water sources. Avics should be relatively easy to find.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
PMSL ....oh you bastard ...I'm in mourning Clown, I cant be laughing!
O.P- look up high. Ceilings, corners, under desk tops in corners, bathroom ,kitchen. In the wild, around human towns, they act like huge house spiders. Look up, or under raised cover like tables and chairs, your bed, and the above water sources. Avics should be relatively easy to find.
What????:D
12378.jpg

Bet I'm not far off....;)

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
Well a month later, after giving up all hope, I got a call from my house sitter freaking out thinking she accidentally let my rose hair out (she doesn’t know much about Ts) I asked her to FaceTime me and low and behold, my missing T was crawling across the ceiling!! Called a fellow T collector and she caught her for me and put her in a spare tank. Relived, and quite amused

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You must be thrilled that she's been found and caught safely.:) You might be looking for a new house sitter though :D