• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Galadriel (and me!)

Arirang

Hello, all!

I'll start with the boring hooman stuff before I talk about my spooder.

I am 21 and work full-time at PetSmart and part-time at Yankee Candle. I live in a zoo- a cat (Autumn, female tortoise-shell DSH, 1 1/2 years old), a Western Minor bearded dragon (Norbert, approximately nine months), four Caribbean hermit crabs (Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel), a royal python (Nagini, approximately six months), and a 55 gallon aquarium. I just acquired an Arizona Blonde named Galadriel, and someone may be giving me a Mexican Firelegs, who I shall name Tauriel. I am, of course, very single, but that may be changing soon (knock on wood).

All of my tanks have a beautiful Asian theme and are appropriately sized for their respective inhabitants. I am perhaps most proud of the 34 gallon tall ExoTerra tank my crabs live in- it's got a gorgeous climbing background and just looks perfect.

I hope one day to also acquire a tortoise and maybe another snake or something. I'm definitely a reptile person- I feel about snakes the way most people feel about dogs, and vice-versa.

Working at PetSmart, I know much about the care of animals (we'll tell it like it is when it comes to pet care, even if it means losing a sale on an item that would be bad for your baby), though we do not sell tarantulas and this is the first pet I have that I have no experience with of any kind. I've never even seen one outside of a zoo. Nevertheless, I'm sure of my ability and knowledge, and am willing to take advice.

Anyways, hope to see you all soon!

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the forum.
No question is dumb but a Tarantula is easily stressed so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to take it "walkies".

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely not a pet meant for taking out on the town. Be careful about where you get your care. Places like petsmart and petco are notorious for giving incorrect care information on tarantulas. Online caresheets are terrible as well. Your best option for researching care is this forum as well as the other two forums concerning tarantulas.

All caresheets will tell you that you must keep track of humidity and temperature, but that is a load of crap. Most tarantulas (A. chalcodes included) will be perfectly fine at room temperature. Heating in the winter months is accomplished with a space heater set between 75-80 degrees. Chasing humidity numbers is pointless as all gauges are inaccurate and as far as tarantula husbandry is concerned. Moisture requirements are fulfilled by a full water dish.

While I do not own an A. chalcodes, I do have several tarantulas with similar care requirements. Room temperature, deep, bone dry coco fiber or top soil in a terrestrial setup, a full water dish (no sponges or rocks, as tarantulas will not drown), and a hide.

Welcome to the forum and eventually the hobby.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the group...I've got a couple A. Chalcodes myself. I'm going to breed them in the next week or so. The top one is my female and the bottom in my recently matured male.
20180623_180104.jpg
20180623_175635.jpg

Arirang

I thought so. Thanks :B

Update: I am also probably going to get a Mexican fireleg! If I do, I will be choosing different names. Ungoliant for the blonde, Shelob for the fireleg.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I thought so. Thanks :B

Update: I am also probably going to get a Mexican fireleg! If I do, I will be choosing different names. Ungoliant for the blonde, Shelob for the fireleg.
I had to look up the common name… I have two B. boehmei. I love them. Great spiders. My larger one is about 2" and the smaller one is about 3/4" after its last molt. Both of them are out a lot and both of them are great eaters. I think everyone loves a good eater! :)

Latest posts