• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms, help.

Julianaaax

Decided to get mealworms as many people were recommending them so it’s my first time keeping them, I went to give them more fruit and veggies today and noticed a few of black worms I picked them all out but don’t know why they’ve gone black, and ideas why and how to prevent it from happing again?
upload_2019-1-16_16-38-57.jpeg

Also I’ve noticed that many have gone into the pupa stage but found one thats still white and pretty small but is walking around... I thought that they couldn’t move or walk until they were finally developed at which stage they should be black and bigger, is this normal?
upload_2019-1-16_16-37-32.jpeg

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Are you keeping them in the refrigerator? I have kept mealworms in the frig for three 3-4 months taking them out once a week to feed then putting them back in.
Mealworms you can refrigerate, superworms you cannot.

Julianaaax

Are you keeping them in the refrigerator? I have kept mealworms in the frig for three 3-4 months taking them out once a week to feed then putting them back in.
Mealworms you can refrigerate, superworms you cannot.
No I’ve been keeping them in a box like this in my room because I wanted them to breed and if you keep them refrigerated they won’t, also my mom definitely would not be happy with me keeping my worms in the same fridge she keeps her food lol
upload_2019-1-16_16-54-8.jpeg

Julianaaax

I have a mini fridge I keep in the garage full of beer. Wife doesn't drink beer so I keep mine in there. :T:

th
Good idea, might buy myself a mini fridge. But do you have to keep all the mealworms refrigerated, is that why they turned black, because I didn’t put them in the fridge?

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Don't put them in the fridge if you want to breed them. Keeping them cold slows them down and they won't eat or gow much when cold. When they turn black it's usually because they didn't get enough moisture which they get from the fruits and veggies you feed them.

Julianaaax

Don't put them in the fridge if you want to breed them. Keeping them cold slows them down and they won't eat or gow much when cold. When they turn black it's usually because they didn't get enough moisture which they get from the fruits and veggies you feed them.
Okay thanks, I’ll be sure to provide them with more fruit and veggies then.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Black and squishy, humidity too high, add ventilation, black and hard, too dry, add more cover like egg cartons and keep the food fresh.
If I recall I made a thread on my method for breeding mealworms, I'll see if I can find the link but it is simple. Your tub doesn't seem to have enough ventilation which can lead to mould problems, but put very simply - a tub with at least one inch of rolled oats, egg carton and cardboard stacked to make layered shelter (the layers are important unless you seperate the stages), then add slices of carrot to one end only, directly onto the oats. The carrot disappears into the oats where what is not eaten dries out rather than go mouldy and more is added a couple of times a week. As the oats turn to frass (powder-like) more oats are added. Every year or two decide there is too much frass and too many dead beetles, tip everything into another tub, set it up fresh and sift the old substrate so you can add as many live beetles, pupae and worms to the new set-up as you feel like picking out, or just buy another tub of mealworms.
I have two main colonies so that I don't have to wait while the cleaned colony gets back up to full production.
Unless you need small worms use the largest worms and some pupae for feeding, they are usually in the top layers of cardboard anyway and you don't need many adult beetles to keep the colony going.
Mine run for years just topping the oats up every few months and adding carrot and vegetable scraps, the effort and the cost are very minimal.

Latest posts