• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Making an M. Balfouri communal with already established members, different ages ?

SweetheartXR

Of course I'm not talking sling with adults. What I mean is, I have a female and a male M Balfouri at the moment, and will probably get a second pair. They are approximately all the same size, not fully adults either. I was wondering if it would still be possible to make a communal out of it.

I had the idea of maybe introducing all of them in a completely new terrarium, and thus no territory issues. I tried this on a very small scale. Putting the male in the already established female's enclosure resulted in aggressive behavior which I stopped the second it happened. Then, I put them both in a completely new and smaller enclosure, and they are side by side, very calm. Even though one is older and they have never seen eachother.

Thoughts ? Experiences about this subject ?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course I'm not talking sling with adults. What I mean is, I have a female and a male M Balfouri at the moment, and will probably get a second pair. They are approximately all the same size, not fully adults either. I was wondering if it would still be possible to make a communal out of it.

I had the idea of maybe introducing all of them in a completely new terrarium, and thus no territory issues. I tried this on a very small scale. Putting the male in the already established female's enclosure resulted in aggressive behavior which I stopped the second it happened. Then, I put them both in a completely new and smaller enclosure, and they are side by side, very calm. Even though one is older and they have never seen eachother.

Thoughts ? Experiences about this subject ?
As it sounds like you have sub adults who have lived alone? I would not recommend putting them together as females will likely get aggressive as it's their territory, I'd only put a male in with a female for pairing (if they were mature of course) and remove him immediately afterwards -
If you really want a communal of balfouri I'd recommend just getting some slings and starting afresh, you can safely mix slings of various sizes as long as when you first put them together it's in a fresh new enclosure so it's not an established home for any of them, we have a communal of 5 adult balfouri atm and they have been raised together from tiny slings and have never had any issues with them.. They have grown on to be 4 females and 1 mature male so he's a lucky boy :)
It's not worth losing an adult by trying to cohabitate at that stage but that's just my thoughts :)