• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Maintenance and cleaning of adult T enclosure

Gavin van den Berg

3 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm planning to do some maintenance on my 6" P. Cambrigei enclosure this week and I was looking for some pointers in doing it. I'm going to be changing her substrate and also cleaning the glass of her enclosure.

I've read about a bag transfer technique, but not sure if my T will be okay in the bag whilst I'm cleaning her enclosure?

Do I place her in a temporary container until I'm finished or do I keep her in the bag to ensure I can easily get her back into her cleaned out enclosure?

Thanks for reading.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm planning to do some maintenance on my 6" P. Cambrigei enclosure this week and I was looking for some pointers in doing it. I'm going to be changing her substrate and also cleaning the glass of her enclosure.

I've read about a bag transfer technique, but not sure if my T will be okay in the bag whilst I'm cleaning her enclosure?

Do I place her in a temporary container until I'm finished or do I keep her in the bag to ensure I can easily get her back into her cleaned out enclosure?

Thanks for reading.
Hello Gavin
I have a 7inch plus of these, only defensive whilst in its enclosure then its a sweety. I use an extended brush tongs,and my own style modified catch cup. Then I leave the specimen in that cup,my modified one can even take larger specimens.

If you want, I can email you the details. Since I've found no problems with this modified one,works very well.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Usually it's not necessary to change the substrate, ever. Most people do spot cleaning: picking up boluses and leftover prey with forceps or tweezers.

Gavin van den Berg

3 Year Member
Hello Gavin
I have a 7inch plus of these, only defensive whilst in its enclosure then its a sweety. I use an extended brush tongs,and my own style modified catch cup. Then I leave the specimen in that cup,my modified one can even take larger specimens.

If you want, I can email you the details. Since I've found no problems with this modified one,works very well.

Hi Martin, that would be helpful of you. I'm just thinking of its safety and health while doing the maintenance and your idea will be very helpful.

Usually it's not necessary to change the substrate, ever. Most people do spot cleaning: picking up boluses and leftover prey with forceps or tweezers.

Hi Poec54, thank you for the reply. The problem is that her substrate is full of boluses and she has laid webbing all over it, so it is mainly a preventative measure to change her substrate. I'll only do this once as I haven't done this with any of my other T's, but I deem it necessary with this one. It will give me peace of mind, knowing that there is no chance of infestation of any kind in her enclosure.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Martin, that would be helpful of you. I'm just thinking of its safety and health while doing the maintenance and your idea will be very helpful.

Hi Poec54, thank you for the reply. The problem is that her substrate is full of boluses and she has laid webbing all over it, so it is mainly a preventative measure to change her substrate. I'll only do this once as I haven't done this with any of my other T's, but I deem it necessary with this one. It will give me peace of mind, knowing that there is no chance of infestation of any kind in her enclosure.
Pleasure Gavin,pm me your email as soon I can I will reply.

Poec54

3 Year Member

I have spiders that do the same thing. I pick out the boluses every time I water and/or feed, so they don't pile up. I can pull the boluses out of silk with forceps, 'cutting' around the silk if necessary. You don't want to have to be replacing the substrate with an adult cambridgei on a regular basis.

Gavin van den Berg

3 Year Member
I also do this with all my other T's, but the Cambrigei is a different story. I usually just drop the feeders into her enclosure as quick as I can, because she attacks anything that moves, including the huge forceps I use. She even attacks the water when I fill her water bowl.

I think I'm just not comfortable enough to try and get boluses out underneath the silk with her in there. I don't want to start a new "Tagged by my P. Cambrigei" thread anytime soon. haha

Latest posts