• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lucy molted!!

Linda Fluekiger

3 Year Member
Well, Lucy (Rose Hair) went through her first molt. She molted right before I get her almost a year ago (Jan). I dreaded the first molt, as my friend's died during molt. I woke up this morning and here it was!! I have no idea if she is a boy or girl. I have a pic of the molt, not a good one (attached). If she is a boy, I would be sad, as that means she/he will not be in my life as long as I wanted. If she is a boy, is there anything different I need to do with him? As far as food, she eats once a week, offered more, but she has her schedule. She only refused one feeding. I will offer her food in a week to see. I read the other posts that it could be three weeks. I know a molt indicates growing, yes? I think she is already big, but getting larger is very exciting. Sorry this is so long, I have been waiting a year for this. Now I just want her/him to be healthy and safe. Thanks!! Linda
20151219_085729.jpg

Meludox

3 Year Member
Congrats on the molt!! To sex it, you need a clear picture of the space between the top book lungs inside the abdomen. Like this:
image002.jpg

Linda Fluekiger

3 Year Member
This is the best I could get. So dang delicate. Either way she is so beautiful.

Attachments

• tmp_7403-20151219_1024211276593330.jpg
    tmp_7403-20151219_1024211276593330.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 29

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
REALLY!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy!!!!!!!
Yep you can tell by the raised opening in the abdomen between the book lungs. Looks almost like a cave for the lack of a better term in your pic.

Males will be solid in that area with no opening like the pic @melodux posted.
2015-12-19_225310.png