• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for experience...

VonWorm

3 Year Member
Yeah I've observed that there are a lot of noobs on this forum, and many of them love to dive right into more advanced species. Meanwhile species like Augacephalus or Ceratogyrus which are much better starter old worlds get completely ignored. These are fast and skittish, but not as defensive as many other baboons, and their venom is rather mild for an OW. Why not get one of these before an H.maculata or OBT? They'll get you used to the speed, but you won't have to worry about the venom. Guess all We can do at this point is hope for the best.
Which specie of each genus would be recommended as OW starters? As previously stated I am trading my h. Mac off to someone who has more experience. But will look into more suitable species for my experience level.

Many thanks,
-Von

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Which specie of each genus would be recommended as OW starters? As previously stated I am trading my h. Mac off to someone who has more experience. But will look into more suitable species for my experience level.

Many thanks,
-Von
Well you didn't necessarily have to give it away, I mean you had already bought the thing, but since you asked:

Augacephalus ezendami "Mozambique Golden Baboon"- These are much more laid-back than most other African species. Mind you, they're still very fast when spooked, but they're not a defensive species. Their venom is also rather mild for an old world. They are a burrowing species, so give them lots of substrate and keep them dry.
uploadfromtaptalk1442941609874.jpg

Pretty much any tarantula from this genus would be a good choice as well.

Ceratogyrus the "Horned baboons" are great as well. They can be a bit defensive at times, but not to the same degree as a lot of other baboons, and their venom is also rather mild.
I recommend either C.darlingi or C.marshalli as they have the most pronounced horns, but any other species is good too. These guys also web a ton, so there's that too. Here's one of my darlingi
uploadfromtaptalk1442941900287.jpg

Also these are New World arboreals, but look into Psalmopoeus or Tapinauchenius. Both lack urticating hairs unlike most New Worlds, and behave a lot more like Old Worlds. They are both extremely fast (Tapinauchenius are considered the fastest tarantulas out there), and have plenty of attitude. Their venom is not as severe as Many old world species however.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm actually starting a YouTube channel soon (hopefully) , and I will be doing caresheets videos for each of these. It's really just a matter of getting my lazy self motivated [emoji14]

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Ok, i will start off by saying i had no idea what this creature was when i had purchased it. The person who sold it to me asked me what i had when i asked how to care for this specie. I replied with nhandu tripepii. Shouldnt i had been informed of the danger of this specie when i bought it?

i feel as though everyone who commented thinks i knew what this was and bought it lol. That is not the case. I admit, i shouldnt have been so hasty, and should have googled it. But, i really should have been informed by the seller i think.

With that out of the way. Thank you all for the detailed info, and your kind opinions :-D it is afterall the reason i come here to ask questions.

Im will try and trade this T until i get more experience. I really didnt try and find a very dangerous specie when i went lol.

Thanks everyone

Glad to hear your making a responsible decision! That's great! We need more people like that in the hobby!

And as for the seller informing you, I think it goes both ways. As a consumer, it is our responsibility to find out about the animals we are getting. I always research a species before I get it. However, I have been given animals in the past I knew nothing about there care and had to hastily learn as much as possible so I do understand that. I do feel though that if the seller asked you that and you told them you only had a nhandu that they should have informed you about the speed and venom of this species. I certainly would have told you if i was the seller.

Latest posts