• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lights on top of enclosure

Flafex

Hi Guys,
Recently I got my very first tarantula (a green bottle blue sling) and I would like to know if it is bad for him to leave a small light on top of the enclosure just to display and observe while I'm in the room during the night.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lights produce heat and increase dehydration. For a spider that already prefers to be arid this isn't good. To use the light to work on or maintain the enclosure is fine. Some types of bulbs can also deteriorate a spiders already bad eyesight. Tarantulas hate light so it's just a vanity thing for us keepers. It's better to use a light a short distance from the enclosure or LED strip lights on a back wall. This gives a greater distance from the enclosure. Most enclosures lights are just way too close and hot.

Flafex

Lights produce heat and increase dehydration. For a spider that already prefers to be arid this isn't good. To use the light to work on or maintain the enclosure is fine. Some types of bulbs can also deteriorate a spiders already bad eyesight. Tarantulas hate light so it's just a vanity thing for us keepers. It's better to use a light a short distance from the enclosure or LED strip lights on a back wall. This gives a greater distance from the enclosure. Most enclosures lights are just way too close and hot.
thanks, that helped a lot :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all.
I use waterproof WRGB led strip about 15 cm over the enclosures mounted on the racking.They are very low heat source when away from the enclosure and can be dimmed to quite low setting .I mainly use the red light for observation in evening and during the night.It seems the dimmed red light is not bothering the spiders and they behave naturaly while if using white light some are retreating into their hides.
The Led strips are quite cheap and some sets come packed with a remote,receiver and lots of functionality to suit your needs.
Quick picture of one bookshelf in my bedroom
20191111_210707.jpg

Hope that helps.

Regards Konstantin

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Low intensity red light should be ok if you want it real bad. Ts supposedly can't see or just don't react as much to that.

That's right, as long as it is the LED low energy, low heat type as mentioned. Not the dreadful red heat bulbs, from pet suppliers that are manufactured for reptiles. I just thought I'd mention not to get those, in case someone at a later date reads this thread and thinks they are the same thing :)

That's right, as long as it is the LED low energy, low heat type as mentioned. Not the dreadful red heat bulbs, from pet suppliers that are manufactured for reptiles. I just thought I'd mention not to get those, in case someone at a later date reads this thread and thinks they are the same thing :)
Yup, not those ofc, thanks!

T Freak

I just got some of the little round push on/off lights that also is powered by 3 triple a batteries and it came with a remote to like the led’s. Puts off no heat and mounted kinda away from the enclosures. I hope the white light especially during the day doesn’t bother them n it’s got red I can use for night when I’m not asleep but I’m gonna have to get some strip lights or something cuz these aren’t bright enough on red lol.
Anyone thing the white light in day time isn’t ok for any reason?

Latest posts