• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lateralis roaches too small for large tarantulas?

KenD

Currently my tarantulas are all slings to small juveniles and I've thus far been feeding them lateralis roaches of various sizes. Definitely my favourite feeder, but preparing for the future I started thinking that perhaps they're not large enough feeders for adult tarantulas? Is this indeed the case, and at which point should I change to larger feeders? Some of the species I have might reach sizes of 7-8" as adults (Lasiodora parahybana, Acantoscurria geniculata, Poecilotheria regalis). Any T size where even adult Dubia roaches aren't large enough, if I'd at some point get a Theraphosa stirmi or blondi for example?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
If you spider gets too big to chase smaller roaches you can use hissing ****roaches. My 10" stirmis and pokies love them. My pokies will still chase crickets but my stirmis sometimes cant get all of them before they die on their own.

True. They get v large and look so striking that some keepers even have them in display enclosures as pets while still using them as feeders for their big T's. @KenD you'll have to harden your heart to the heart rending noises they make when being eaten, they die noisily! :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you spider gets too big to chase smaller roaches you can use hissing ****roaches. My 10" stirmis and pokies love them. My pokies will still chase crickets but my stirmis sometimes cant get all of them before they die on their own.

I have been seriously thinking about getting some hissing roaches for my stirmi..So thanks for that.