• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping Ts in darkness??

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
So I want to lock my Ts up so my kid cant mess with them. I have a neat cabinet but will complete darkness hurt them or could I put like a battery powered light in there? Could I some how convert the door to something else to let in light? Thanks

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
their has been alot of debate on this subject and the general consensus is that its perfectly fine to have them in complete darkness for long periods of time. things to note, T's have poor eyesight and really only can seen light and shadow. they are nocturnal for the most part so they come out when its dark out and during the day will hide away (in burrower or where ever they are staying in during the day) these places are usually completely dark. so with that in mind a you shouldn't need a light source unless you want to simulate a natural day/nigh cycle

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas do not Live in total darkness. They will sit at the entrance of their burrow duRing the day if the temp is not to high. At night they have moon and star light. Yes their Burke may be pitch black in it's depths, but they do not send their entire Life there. Many tarantulas will come out and back in the Sun light too.
Just something think about.

Latest posts