• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping multiples

Chickenfoot87

3 Year Member
I've heard with some types of spiders you can keep more than one tarantula per enclosure, specifically pink toes. Do any of you know if this is true?
I would love to keep more than one together, but I don't want to if it would be bad for them.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've read in other forums P. metallica, balfouri and OBT can be kept communally. Never seen anything about Avics.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I've read old papers about avics being kept communally but it's pretty much guaranteed to end badly.

Only tarantula's I know of being kept successfully communally for their lifespan are M.Balfouri and H.Incei.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I looked into it when I got 3 H. incei slings as they were one species recommended for communal keeping but then I read that even with them there could be a danger of them eating each other so I decided against it,

Just1moreT

3 Year Member
I looked into it when I got 3 H. incei slings as they were one species recommended for communal keeping but then I read that even with them there could be a danger of them eating each other so I decided against it,

I'm not sure my H incei has had any canablism there's to many in there could be 100 or more it's on a 29 gallon tank I see spiders living together in same webbs. I do feed them a lot so maybe there not, it is one of my favorite feeding times

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm not sure my H incei has had any canablism there's to many in there could be 100 or more it's on a 29 gallon tank I see spiders living together in same webbs. I do feed them a lot so maybe there not, it is one of my favorite feeding times

Gosh, I guess you must have had them together a while. Do you feed different size prey items?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've heard with some types of spiders you can keep more than one tarantula per enclosure, specifically pink toes. Do any of you know if this is true?
I would love to keep more than one together, but I don't want to if it would be bad for them.
Avicularia are not communal. Poecilotheria are said to be more tolerant of others but this does not make them "communal" either. M.balfouri are one of maybe 2 species I know of that can be kept together with less risk. No tarantula is truly communal. I certainly do not advise attempting a communal unless you've got years of experience under your belt and a lot of money to spend. Even then, so many things can go wrong. Some people have trouble managing one pokie, having to deal with several of them at once is going to be a lot worse.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I've always wanted to try a H.incei communal but I don't think I'm brave enough for that attempt yet!

Tarantulas certainly don't want or need companionship.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I have to agree with Chubbs here- I have seen plenty of you tube videos of keepers filming cannibalism in-particular with Avis. The only ones I have seen that do well are the M. Balfouri also I couldn't imagine being new to this hobby and wanting to jump into a communal

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
If your going to do a communal, it's best to start with H.Incei in my opinion, mainly just because of cost. I wouldn't do a balfouri communal because I don't feel like losing hundreds of dollars. Incei's usually are $30 or less.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so glad I didn't try it with my H. incei having learnt how fast they can be. One of my 3 died anyway but the other 2 zoom around in their web tunnels and would be impossible to keep track of in a communal set up.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I'm so glad I didn't try it with my H. incei having learnt how fast they can be. One of my 3 died anyway but the other 2 zoom around in their web tunnels and would be impossible to keep track of in a communal set up.
i watched a video of a breeder keeping 6 of his A. Avics together and low and behold by the 4th molt they were killing each other it was so sad to see his video of them roaming around with another little sling in their fangs :(

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member

This is the main reason I haven't tried it. I'm not comfortable with their speed.

Latest posts