• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping Mealworms Alive...

Hello friends,

Could you please share me how can I keep my mealworms alive in keeping it after purchased ? Normally, when you bought them there are some left over as I didn't grow many T's in order to feed them at one time. So, it's a waste to throw them to the ground.

I wonder whether keeping them in a box with coco peats is enough with some added water to eat and what are their food to keep them alive for quite sometime ?

Appreciate your experience to teach me how can I successfully keep them alive for this.

Thank you so much friends.

Regards,

Sholihin Aziz

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If they are regular mealworms, anything EXCEPT superworms, you can keep them in the bran flake they probably came in (they eat the bran flake) in the refrigerator. This will slow their metabolism so they stay worms longer vs transform into beetles.

If they are superworms, you need to keep them at room temp and either feed them out, freeze them for slings, give them to other local hobbyists, release them to the world, etc.

If they are regular mealworms, anything EXCEPT superworms, you can keep them in the bran flake they probably came in (they eat the bran flake) in the refrigerator. This will slow their metabolism so they stay worms longer vs transform into beetles.

If they are superworms, you need to keep them at room temp and either feed them out, freeze them for slings, give them to other local hobbyists, release them to the world, etc

If they are superworms, you need to keep them at room temp and either feed them out, freeze them for slings, give them to other local hobbyists, release them to the world, etc.
Thank you so much fren for the advice.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep a few to a dozen superworms on hand in a small container and feed them plain Cheerios that I have rolled into a somewhat fine grain. I was told that if you keep a few together they won't turn into beetles. From time to time I put in some pieces of vegetables for nutrients and moisture.

Superworms have a higher fat content based on what I have been reading recently so I also feed my tarantulas crickets and tried a few roaches.

I usually crush the heads of the superworms otherwise they will bury themselves quickly. For smaller Ts I cut the superworms into segments and leave it out.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I sieve the porridge oats from time to time to get rid of the dust. I top up the porridge. I add a slice or two of potato for moisture. I keep them at room temperature & just replace every 3 to 5 weeks. The cost under £3 per tub & I simply freeze any remaining to kill them humanly & start afresh.

I generally keep several slings & feed at least twice a week & find I waste very few.

TokeHound

Okay, so, I have to comment on this. I KNOW you're supposed to keep mealworms in the fridge, BUT I have worked in many pet shops that sell mealworms and keeping them in the fridge seems to kill them quicker. We would get shipments of mealworms and they would be kept in the fridge with their brand flake and they would be dead in a week. Now that I am a Tarantula Keeper, I started getting mealworms because god forbid someone sells Red Runner Roaches here, and I have kept them out of the fridge and I feed them whatever vegetables I have. Potatoes, lettuce, whatever. I've had these mealworms for 4 weeks and none of them have died.

TokeHound

Okay, so, I have to comment on this. I KNOW you're supposed to keep mealworms in the fridge, BUT I have worked in many pet shops that sell mealworms and keeping them in the fridge seems to kill them quicker. We would get shipments of mealworms and they would be kept in the fridge with their brand flake and they would be dead in a week. Now that I am a Tarantula Keeper, I started getting mealworms because god forbid someone sells Red Runner Roaches here, and I have kept them out of the fridge and I feed them whatever vegetables I have. Potatoes, lettuce, whatever. I've had these mealworms for 4 weeks and none of them have died.
Except for the ones I have fed to my Tarantulas :)

Attachments

• PXL_20210917_053657107.jpg
    PXL_20210917_053657107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts