• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kayak fishing

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think this is what motivated me to study them. Jaws got me terrified of them, and my reaction was to study them and learn everything I possibly could about them. Before I realized it didn't pay, I was on a path to become an Ichthyologist. Aced all of my oceanography and marine biology classes. Figured I live on a boat and wear flip flops my whole life and be poor but happy.

Then I discovered the movie business. Free food. Free world travel. Good pay for playing with animals. Good benefits. Can't beat it.

This thread reminded me... Time to plan another kayaking trip. Some friends and I start at one end of Catalina and paddle down to the other end over the course of a few days, camping on empty beaches the whole way. We usually have a line in the water as we paddle catching mostly calico bass. I frequently pop on the mask and snorkel and flop over the side for a dip in the cool water and a look-see.
That trip sounds like a blast. I'll be happy to just get a day off and go to the lake. I grew up fishing salmon runs in Alaska, moved south and was disappointed with all other freshwater fishing, so I went to the coast when I could. This will be my first real attempt at bass and landlocked redfish. And alligator hunting :D

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
That trip sounds like a blast. I'll be happy to just get a day off and go to the lake. I grew up fishing salmon runs in Alaska, moved south and was disappointed with all other freshwater fishing, so I went to the coast when I could. This will be my first real attempt at bass and landlocked redfish. And alligator hunting :D
Good luck man. Keep us posted on what you find and what you catch. Watch out for the alligator gars!

nedaK

No sir, YOU can swim right up to them. :D I'll fire a harpoon, from a distance. Thats interesting. Perhaps if I learned more, I wouldn't be so afraid of them.

HAHAHAHAHA, NO o_O
What about a whale shark? Or a basking shark? I really want to swim with a whale shark, that would be pretty cool, and those little black tip reef sharks, I find those cute :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What about a whale shark? Or a basking shark? I really want to swim with a whale shark, that would be pretty cool, and those little black tip reef sharks, I find those cute :)
If you find sharks cute, you're more psycho then I am :D Actually I would swim with an Orca, a wild one, not a captive one, the captives get mean as hell. Check youtube for vids on wild orca interaction. Fantastic stuff. Sharks though, are stupid eating machines. Orcas are smart, and don't see us as food. Also, if you're swimming with an orca, nothing else will come near you. Gauranteed.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
You kept alligators too? I've always been kind of interested in them. I'm planning to try to find some, take some pictures. Gators may be dumb, but I get the impression sharks are just mindless eating machines. There doesnt seem to be much intelligence there at all..like if you cut a zombie's head off in a movie, the mouth keeps trying to bite. Thats very sharkish, to me. All teeth and appetite, no reason. Im sure im just acting like arachnophobes do about spiders, but I dont care, **** those things..

You may end up like this guy whose BFF was a croc lol.

I saw a documentary on TV years ago and was pretty shocked and amazed at the time. I was chuffed to find there's loads online about this odd relationship that spanned decades. The croc (who died of old age, and was outlived by his human chum) even has his own Wikipedia page!

nedaK

Do you like seals? Like the cute dogs with flippers? Well orcas hunt them by hitting them with their tails sending them flying into the air and playing volleyball with them before brutally ripping them apart and eating them. Sometimes these volleyball games last for hours. Imagine the suffering for that poor seal, orcas used to be my favorite animal until I found that out. They are unpredictable and extremely dangerous.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you like seals? Like the cute dogs with flippers? Well orcas hunt them by hitting them with their tails sending them flying into the air and playing volleyball with them before brutally ripping them apart and eating them. Sometimes these volleyball games last for hours. Imagine the suffering for that poor seal, orcas used to be my favorite animal until I found that out. They are unpredictable and extremely dangerous.
So they play with their food..meh :D...the main point is that they don't look at us as food. The only dangerous and unpredictable ones I've heard of were captives, living in what equates to fish bowls. Intelligent animals shouldn't be kept that way. The cruelest animals I've ever seen, besides humans, were house cats. They'll torture a rat for hours before killing it.

nedaK

So they play with their food..meh :D...the main point is that they don't look at us as food. The only dangerous and unpredictable ones I've heard of were captives, living in what equates to fish bowls. Intelligent animals shouldn't be kept that way. The cruelest animals I've ever seen, besides humans, were house cats. They'll torture a rat for hours before killing it.
My cat likes to dissect her mice. Usually she kills them with a bite to the throat first though.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
My cat likes to dissect her mice. Usually she kills them with a bite to the throat first though.

I never knew how many rodents lived in the vicinity until I had a cat. Nowadays when I let him in, I do a quick visual check to make sure he hasn't got one hanging out of his mouth! The alive mouse with the chewed off back legs was a nasty suprise

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton for 4 years and I did a TON of surf fishing. I picked up spearfishing for a little but honestly it was just a little sketchy going by myself and I couldn’t get any of my buddies to join. The base owns San Onofre beach and it had giant kelp fields that giant white bass loved. As a result, great whites were frequently seen around those kelp beds and I think it was in 2015 that some guy caught a great white there from the beach!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, sharks can be deadly but attacks are incredibly rare. Each year in the United States, more people win a million dollars or more in state lotteries then are killed or seriously injured by sharks.

Let that sink in for a moment. If you watch Powerball winners in the news and then shark attack reports, more people win in just that one lottery. Drawings are held weekly.

All statistics matter. There's really no reason to go on a killing spree just because a shark has attacked someone. If you want to save lives, get someone to stop smoking or off of drugs instead with that money and time wasted going after sharks.

Last edited: