• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just sharing my B. smithi

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I got it last Sept. 5, 2015

Still unsexed and about 3-4months old. Almost 2" leg span.

Closer photo in its custom-made enclosure, I think in my noob opinion that it is in premolt. What do you guys think?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Prepping new enclosure

w/out flash

substrate and hide were both microwave oven heated for at least 10min and cooled before setup.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Transferred my smithi the following day

that's all for now, thanks for watching pips. ^_^

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
nice looking T & enclosure :) (the substrate looks to bit wet though !!!)

Thanks @spidey noob! It was moist and damp after setup. I had it dried out a bit before transferring the T and now it's completely dry at the surface. Not so sure at the bottom though. I have a 2" diameter dish with water added to that setup by the way. Will try to update tomorrow as it will be a week old with me. :):T:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some update photo after a week with me:

The Creepy Hollow

Tartar in premolt

Molds in its burrow please go away!

Comments and suggestions are welcome! Thanks much.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After four days postmolt, I have to give Tartar undue stress because the molds got overwhelming overnight!

Here is Tartar after the redo, did not take photos with the molds since I was after time: :rolleyes:

I hope it's happy now that the air is clean again. :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're not misting are you?
No siree, the dark brown color is that of new compost mix, i forego the moss this time. The mix was placed in a basin and was sun dried until past midday with occasional stirring and that means at temps of 105degF plus. I have to cool it down before it was used. I hope no more molds this time. Source of humidity in the enclosure is a 2"dia with 0.25"depth dish of distilled water.

Tartar has found his hidey hole and is facing the entrance, thought he is hungry so tried putting a kicking mangled roach but he ignored it. So I have to wait some more and stick with my 10-day rule. :cool: I thought that the little ones hardens sooner as compared to adults, guess not. :rolleyes:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm just trying to figure out what could've caused all of the mold :/

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah ok, it was the moss that we used here for orchids, peat moss I think. I placed it at the bottom so that it can trap moisture. And it did and grow molds as well. Yea, what the hell was I thinking... :oops: