• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just joined the T world... 'Hi'

Mr Wings

3 Year Member
Hey guys and girls. Joe from South of England. Just brought my first Tarantula, Chilli Rose. Didn't even want a spider, the Mrs was taking her time in buying a Bearded Dragon and I ended up buying one ha.

Since I've had him I've read pages and watched videos but as your aware you can read so much information that isn't true.

He's not very big, I'd say about a 1.5" Got it in this tiny pot what the shop gave me and I've been told to keep him in it until he basically out grows it. That correct? The box is like 6" x 3" x 2"

I'm feeding it small crickets but I'm guy loading with Prima dry fish food and cucumber and carrot swapped every night. I've got half a water ball in there as well. Substrate is some wood stuff (should of asked what it's called) looked into buying more when I transfer him to his main tank, coco fibre? Read that it needs to be very dry but the stuff I've found has be broken down with water (brick form)

I've been told he eats every other day but yesterday I gave him 3 crickets and he ate them all. Separate times though. Good or bad?

Handling, when can I get him out? Too soon, I'm scared he's gonna dart off if I get him out

Any other tips

Thank you in advance :)

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome. I'm assuming the 2" is the height of the container he is in. I would rehouse him to something a little bigger and put him plenty of cocofiber in there. Many like to dig as slings. As far as feeding, it depends on who you ask. I would feed a sling that size once or twice a week. Keep in mind that what he doesn't eat you need to take out. I assume you know about molting, so if you find him on his back leave him be, he's molting. Sounds like you are off to a good start though. Handling is another controversial subject. One thing I have noticed is that slings and juveniles tend to be more skittish than adults. If you do plan on holding him, put his enclosure on the floor and sit there while handling. You don't want him falling and injuring himself. They can be very fragile.

Mr Wings

3 Year Member
Ah thank you. I've just brought another one. He's about 4-5" inches. I'll try post done pictures up later.

What does it mean when he lays his web on me?