• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just got my First Tarantula

Redeemer123

3 Year Member
Hi everyone,

Just got my first Tarantula today from jamiestarantulas.com. Its only been a couple hours since receiving the sling and I'm certain that i'll be getting more when I'm comfortable raising them. The sling is a Grammostola rosea. I have to say, I was very surprised with the calmness of the sling when I unwrapped it from the paper towel; I half expected it to scurry out and disappear. A little about myself; I'm from Michigan, I study chemical engineering at Kettering university, and I'm 21. I missed having my salt water fish tank before I started college and I wanted a pet but needed something fairly easy to care for. All things considered I decided tarantulas were the route to go for many reasons including; coolness factor and required maintenance.

Here's a picture of the little guy/girl, right off the bat i felt like I dropped the ball on substrate depth. I probably should have made it deeper but I decided to leave it alone because I wanted the sling to be left alone and settle in. I'll try to feed it in a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 42

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome to the hobby, or should I say addiction.

I have a G. rosea sling about the same size as yours and it has never burrowed.

GitaBooks

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

Our tarantula is a rosy also and LOVES to hide in her piece of bark (its small, about the size of a tunnel actually) but also spends much of her time out in the open. She is very active, but doesn't seem stressed in the least. Certainly a great choice if you want an easy pet but also one that doesn't hide constantly.

owax

3 Year Member
You got a great T, from a great place! The hardest part might be pacing yourself before you get another. :)

Latest posts